Mk2 GT2, 2nd attempt at Scirocco ownership

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Old Mac Rocco
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Mk2 GT2, 2nd attempt at Scirocco ownership

Post by Old Mac Rocco »

:hi: :buddy:
Brilliant.
"REAL PROGRESS"
You deserve a big pat on the back.
Do I detect a light at the end of the tunnel.
Catch up soon.

A heart broken GLI - R.I.P. A loveable GT. A practical Polo now deceased.
MacColl

Post by MacColl »

and there is more..

Replaced the front coolant flange with the senders that was leaking at the o-ring, had a spare all cleaned up with healthy o-ring. Quite a bit of corrosion of the aluminium so I applied a bit of Hylomar which I know can be counter productive, sorry no pics.

Replaced cracked offside light, So easy to remove the bumper and lights..

To save the plastic brittle clips i dremeled the broken light brackets..

The Replacement light, not perfect but rubbed down and painted it's rear, popped straight on ..

This car has been in a few collisions, the bracket for the indicator is bent and the lower valance is actually out of shape but will be bent back..
Better indicators fitted on both sides, need to blacken these bumpers..

Car will need a new bonnet before a respray which might happen this year failing that for next spring.

MacColl

Post by MacColl »

OK things still progress..

Gear linkage using my home brew short shift linkage below also had made heat shields before used along with the best linkage parts from the old Rocco. This was fitted by Bengould (thanks mate),found myself over at Gayles nice to be in an Urban setting for a change in a nice clean garage..
Nice to see the pink beetle, ace :good:

Gear linkage still needs adjustment and a bit stiff with short shift. I'll get the 13-15mm adjustment calibrated and decide whether to go back to normal shift.

This is an interesting screw to re-fit :ire: lol..

Also Filler neck time..

Power washed most of the crud in the filler neck area..

Crikey all that dirt and rusty neck..

Internal Pictures of the neck..
Filler end..
Lower end not bad..

Then found two holes one on the neck bracket, cut out worst of rot..

Also captive nut for plastic inner cover for breathers, will be cut and patched you can see I have scored and scraped away the sealer (used a heat gun)..

Tank all plugged up safe ready along with breathers to allow for welding today and will also be looking at bulkhead with this..

Also customised bracket for catch tank to sit over coil..

Finally car looking it's best (excusing terrible paint and bonnet dents)..

Risocco

Post by Risocco »

Looks good man :good:

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
MacColl

Post by MacColl »

^Thanks mate

Gear-shift linkage was adjusted and quick shift seems ok, still needs a bit of getting used to.

Welded rear arch, first tacks were joined up..
Lower patch ground back..

I didn't have seam sealer so internally the two welded areas were primed,stone chipped and then given a few coats of Deox UB which is a quality underseal product..

Bulkhead preventative plate made, the bought plate on the right was IMO useless..
In position was welded on and painted to be cleaned up aesthetically at a later date..

I managed to damage the clocks in too much of a hurry! when they were out for bulkhead repair/to oil twitchy speedo cable which also didn't work, managed to get them working with craft knife and solder fuel and temp gauge now working..

So the fresh filler neck was fitted had to use the same rubber pipe as the marine pipe I bought seems too tight a fit. So was all bolted in place, underseal stuff sprayed everywhere on bolts etc. and I then discovered with the car back on the ground the tank is actually leaking!! not massively but seems to be the flange where the rubber tube attaches. I thought it looked like quite fresh tank but clearly it didn't have good protection in this area, totally avoidable!

So it will be a trip to motor factors for Steel Putty/Chemical metal until I can afford a tank. They seem thin on the ground too as the links I have traced back no longer have them. I'm not paying £140 for the Fuel Tanks direct ones.Heritage list a Mk1 Golf Cabriolet one for around £100 but don't have in stock just now.

MacColl

Post by MacColl »

Thought I found the leak here on the fuel tank but was actually worse on the other side of the flange once I attacked the area with a dremel (this was blocked up to prevent any flammable fumes)..

Applied a ring of steel putty/chemical metal in the short term..

Here's the catch tank fitted..

So once I change the fuel tank that will be the entire fuel system replaced on this car which seems to be the way to go with these cars. The recent fuel pump I think has solved issues I had when starting and at higher revs where it was lacking power. It has nicer throttle response at last.

When funds allow it will be new tank fully protected and whilst I'm at it swap a refurbed rear beam on there, got all the parts to paint and build up.

MacColl

Post by MacColl »

I attended the Scottish VAG meet, I was the only early Rocco there. Great friendly show, I'm sure we could get some more Rocco's along next year.

New tank due from VW Heritage who actually seemed the cheapest but had to wait for stock.

So a spare beam will be prepared to go on with the new tank.

To free up some funds I got rid of the Golf project that has sat for nearly four years. Weighed in for scrap and I've been selling parts off..

Picked up some alloys for pennys, will refurb..

Old Mac Rocco

Post by Old Mac Rocco »

Hi long time no see.
Set my alarm :wakey: for Scottish VAG, got up and couldn't see the other side of the river so went back to bed - SORRY. :blush: :blush:
Sorry to see the golf go, always felt this was your main long term priority so really surprised.
If you need a hand with the tank and beam give me a shout as I am usually available most days apart from a Monday (auction day - Dunfermline).
Getting ready for Harewood House on Sunday, looks like a flying one day visit as Sat Nav is unwell and I don't want to leave her for too long.
After that it is Biggar2 at the end of Aug then that's it for another year.
Another years MoT on the car last week, one advisory, Front exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases.
For MoT, fitting handbrake cable, minor repair to exhaust, new bulb :ire: , balancing rear brakes and pre MoT check £90.00 all in, which I thought wasn't bad.
Have more wood for you to keep you warm during the winter months so I'll bring it next time I am down.
Like the alloys. :vcool: :vcool:

A heart broken GLI - R.I.P. A loveable GT. A practical Polo now deceased.
go-for-it1

Post by go-for-it1 »

Hi Mac, Any chance you can post the dimensions you used for manufacturing the clutch strengthening plate? I can "access" :blush: several plates with varying thickness so that dimension would be useful also as I believe if it is too thick the rubber grommet at the top of the clutch cable will not fit correctly and makes it stiff to operate.
Rob

1990 Mk2 GT2 in Pearlescent green.
2012 BMW 520d M Sport
2013 Golf TDi 140bhp
Member No 1241
MacColl

Post by MacColl »

Hello Sandy mate, glad you got your car sorted for MOT, yes the Scottish VAG event was wet but gradually improved, got chatting to loads of folk. The Golf just wasn't going anywhere and I needed to make some money back to fund the tank etc. for the Rocco. Will get another car when funds allow. The tank is due for delivery but probably won't be fitted for a few weeks probably after Biggar as I'll have to paint up/assemble all the rear end bits. Will get together at some point though :good:

Rob I won't be near the paper template for two days (in workshop) but just measured the plate on the car. It is a 150 x 70 mm, I recall cutting this shape in paper and then with dirty garage hands rubbing across the three holes. This gave a very precise template. When cut in steel I used thicker than the bulkhead steel and found it could be welded in three good contact areas of the bulkhead.

The clutch cable D shaped grommet has still not fully seated in it's hole but hasn't caused any issues with the function of the cable, it feels more solid with no flex. My view is that when I buy a new cable the newer grommet should fit in there being more pliable.

go-for-it1

Post by go-for-it1 »

Thanks, I was hoping to make one up at work ready to be fitted/modified once the cables are removed, hence the request for the dimensions. The rubbing of the paper over the holes is a good idea though. I intend to drill and bolt/rivet the plate into place rather than weld it, my last rocco was bolted and very strong.
Rob

2012 BMW 520d M Sport
2013 Golf TDi 140bhp
Member No 1241
MacColl

Post by MacColl »

I quickly edited that measurement to 150 x 50 mm just there, maybe you didn't see just double checked the car again, but yes I actually felt that the overall spread of load and slightly thicker metal made for very good strength anyway so bolting should be fine.

Cheers :good: If I can remember I'll maybe scan the template and give some measurements.

go-for-it1

Post by go-for-it1 »

That will be useful. My bulkhead is still intact just now and looks sound but this is just to beef up and prevent the inevitable.

2012 BMW 520d M Sport
2013 Golf TDi 140bhp
Member No 1241
go-for-it1

Post by go-for-it1 »

Mac, any chance you can measure the GSF plate or your repair to give the sizes of the U shaped cutout and the cable holes and the dimensions between them. I'm sure somebody on here has done this in the past but I forgot to copy the details down!!
Thanks
Rob

Edit: I found James Butlers drawings but the dimensions of the clutch cable U shaped hole are missing.

2012 BMW 520d M Sport
2013 Golf TDi 140bhp
Member No 1241
MacColl

Post by MacColl »

Hello again Rob here is a scan..
The template is between just over 66 by 154 mm, this is not a precise science (the template isn't precisely cut, it's a piece of envelope lol ). The figures are as I have measured the template and might not add up to the length of the full plate. I have written 1/2 for 1/2 a mm.

You might be lucky, when transferred to metal I was able to square things off with scribe/square etc. Sorry the bought plate went with my recent trip to the scrappy.

Good luck

I'll add i just got a new tank delivered from heritage £108 delivered, not too impressed tbh with the dings and bent corners on it. It also seems to be raw metal covered in greasy waxoil stuff. I phoned them to tell them I wasn't impressed but prepared to use it. Going to take a bit of work but I'll be degreasing it, key, etch primer.stone chip and then Bilt Hamber Under body stuff I have. I'll need to get organised with fixings I have from previous car and the rear beam swap so will take a month or so to get it fitted properly.