Camber problem

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Beddo88

Re: Camber problem

Post by Beddo88 »

No its doesnt foul, its just that currently the wheels have no camber and its rather understeery. Dont have the confidence in it that i feel i should.

Would quite like to add some camber, but i dont have enough gap to adjust anything.

Nate
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Nate »

you should be able to wind it in a bit. there's quite a few motors that i have picked up where there's only just enough room to squeeze a strap between the tyre and the strut / wheelarch when they're completely stock. less than a 5mm gap and i'd start getting nervous ;)

also, do you have any braces on it? they sharpen up the turn-in nicely :pilot:

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
Austin

Post by Austin »

Beddo88 wrote:Are you running standard suspension? Mines not (lowered) and it throws out everything.

Much tinkering later, and its still out, but not as much! As these chaps have said, its well worth getting it setup properly.
Your welcome to high jack the thread, as long as we're sharing knowledge.

Yes, the suspension is standard - although new springs were fitted in the summer. I've had a kind offer to get the camber sorted it out properly, which I might just take up, the gauge thingy has come through today, so if get chance will have a look - but may adapt it and use it for something else. :)

Four Sciroccos, four gone, but at least I know all parts from most current one went to good homes....
Nate

Post by Nate »

Austin wrote:the gauge thingy has come through today, so if get chance will have a look - but may adapt it and use it for something else. :)
did it come with distructions? how do they say it should be used?

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
Austin

Post by Austin »

Nate wrote:
Austin wrote:the gauge thingy has come through today, so if get chance will have a look - but may adapt it and use it for something else. :)
did it come with distructions? how do they say it should be used?
The instructions are very basic and assume you have trims on your rear wheels lol. It doesn't say whether wheels should be removed or not, and whether or not to jack up the hub when the wheel is removed. Sturdy and well made bit of kit none the less.

May use it when karting for the castor/camber angle. :)

Four Sciroccos, four gone, but at least I know all parts from most current one went to good homes....
Beddo88

Post by Beddo88 »

Well currently i can just about fit my finger between the spring and the tyre. Considering getting some larger wheels for it when funds are permitting, so might have a good play with it then. Shall have to wait till i get a free weekend!

Quite a few garages should be able to do a full four wheel setup relatively cheap? So 4 wheel tracking, camber, caster etc. Not sure on definate prices though!