Removing Clocks / Instrument Cluster

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
bluestreak56
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Removing Clocks / Instrument Cluster

Post by bluestreak56 »

INKERMAN wrote:Very interesting.
On this subject clocks/instrument cluster I am going to replace with a 2nd hand unit(purchased from this very fine site and thank you ian) now showing 125,210 but would like it to reflect true milage on my gt2 137,100
HOW do I do this/ clocking in reverse
Apologies for this slight hijack :mafia:
Ive read the easiest way is to replace the whole mileometer clock from one unit to the other. Ill try and dig up some info on how its done but Im sure pete knows :buddy:

PeteGLi

Post by PeteGLi »

bluestreak56 wrote:
INKERMAN wrote:Very interesting.
On this subject clocks/instrument cluster I am going to replace with a 2nd hand unit(purchased from this very fine site and thank you ian) now showing 125,210 but would like it to reflect true milage on my gt2 137,100
HOW do I do this/ clocking in reverse
Apologies for this slight hijack :mafia:
Ive read the easiest way is to replace the whole mileometer clock from one unit to the other. Ill try and dig up some info on how its done but Im sure pete knows :buddy:
:blush: It involves removing a number of screws, nuts and bolts in order to separate the individual units making up the whole assembly and then putting them all back together in the correct place :chortle:

I have just published a FAQ on changing instrument panel warning lamps detailing how to remove the whole assembly in one piece, which will get you started :hugegrin:

Alternatively an electric drill running relatively slowly so that the plastic does not melt through overheating.

bluestreak56

Post by bluestreak56 »

HAHA Success!!!!

First of all a BIG thank you goes out to Pete for a fantastic guide and lots of assistance.

I guess a little persistence goes a long way - after much struggling and much pulling and little knowledge of what I was actually doing, I finally managed to get my clocks out today!!!

I did as Pete suggested, removed the undertrays, undercover and had access to the speedo cable.

The speedo cable only actually had one lug on it so was a pain to get off but with a little force came loose. The power adaptors on the other hand, did not want to budge! Finally got them out..

Vacuum cable was securely attached and I dont think this was the issue..

Even with my little corrado steering wheel I managed to pull the clocks through the hole and to freedom! :hugegrin:

Going by Pete's fantastic comparison pics I indeed have the later clocks with the later speed sender.

I took it apart and the top pin of the three (edge closest of the 2 together) seemed a little hampered in connection but overall it looked ok to me.

I bent them in and out and re-attached them to the clocks.

Havnt had a chance to fit it all back together again yet as it got dark and was dinner time, will give it a go tomorrow .. no doubt will be just as much of a pain to go back the other way!

Should I look for anything else while I've got it all apart...?

Thanks again for all your help Pete, fingers crossed it works when I plug it back up!!

PeteGLi

Post by PeteGLi »

bluestreak56 wrote: I took it apart and the top pin of the three (edge closest of the 2 together) seemed a little hampered in connection but overall it looked ok to me.

I bent them in and out and re-attached them to the clocks.

Havnt had a chance to fit it all back together again yet as it got dark and was dinner time, will give it a go tomorrow .. no doubt will be just as much of a pain to go back the other way!

Should I look for anything else while I've got it all apart...?

Thanks again for all your help Pete, fingers crossed it works when I plug it back up!!
I did wonder whether my original sender would work if I adjusted the contacts - so I tried it yesterday. It didn't !
Still, while I had it apart, I changed the worn out main beam warning led.

bluestreak56

Post by bluestreak56 »

Cheers Pete, I'll give it a go no harm eh .. at least I know how to get them out if need be again!

bluestreak56

Post by bluestreak56 »

So my fun and games continues! .. Received my 24mm socket today .. and low and behold the end is too big for my connector! Oh well back through the steering wheel we go!

Hey Im getting pretty good at this (had to do it another 2 times because I dropped the stupid screw that holds the clocks in) :diablo:

All connected up - its SO much easier once you know how it all goes together..

Went for a test run and ....

Everything as it was before woohooo! Well not quite.. the MPG guage did give me some initial figures 0.2, 0.4, 0.7, 0.6, 0.3 .. you get the idea .. never over 1 though.

I have seen this before with the mfa after contstant battery disconnects & reconnects etc.

So I think its more than likely I have the same issue Pete had .. new speed sender please godfather :mafia: