1800 8v tuning

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
scirocco_ne
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: 1800 8v tuning

Post by scirocco_ne »

What is a bubble and tall block then? It seems reading the bubble has no height gain so should fit better.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

It’s harder to find a bubble block than the taller block...

I can’t remember the engine codes for each engine but I expect the info is on the web...

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
whiteshark
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by whiteshark »

You could also go down the BBM Bahn Brenner route.
https://www.bahnbrenner.com/vw_audi/cat ... Turbo_Kits
Mark 2 KR 16v is the best fun. Once your revs are up, fairly quick and can keep up with most modern cars. Just a very limited top speed.

Standard engine, K and N air filter, webber carb would be my choice and stick on a four branch for a bit of flow. If done properly your acceleration 0-60 should be pretty good. I had my first Mk2 Scirocco when I was 24 and I'm now 46. These cars are old and bits on ebay are not as abundant as they used to be!!

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

whiteshark wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:29 pm You could also go down the BBM Bahn Brenner route.
https://www.bahnbrenner.com/vw_audi/cat ... Turbo_Kits
Mark 2 KR 16v is the best fun. Once your revs are up, fairly quick and can keep up with most modern cars. Just a very limited top speed.

Standard engine, K and N air filter, webber carb would be my choice and stick on a four branch for a bit of flow. If done properly your acceleration 0-60 should be pretty good. I had my first Mk2 Scirocco when I was 24 and I'm now 46. These cars are old and bits on ebay are not as abundant as they used to be!!

If im honest the engine has had a good run now so the 2.0 bottom end was just a way to add a little more go to the car whilst keeping it original to look at and giving it a freshen up.

I think i have my heart set on a 3a bottom end now as its as close as ill get to retaining standard everything.

Bubble bottom end, standard head perhaps flowed by me with some sytem linked to my blast pot, gti cam perhaps?

Standard air box, weber, everything else standard including t belt cover hopefully.

And of course a brake upgrade :)

The brand new weber is going nowhere :)

That said these engines are no doubt rare now.

I see a lot of mention of exhaust mods aswell on forums.

Do the 4 branches mass produced for mk1s actually fit and make any difference? If so i guess a 4 2 1 wouldnt hurt.

big_wig_074

Post by big_wig_074 »

i have the AGG bottom end in mine, with a GTI PB head, a newman 268 cam and a weber 32/34. goes quite well! youll need to swap the dizzy drive gear on the dizzys as the 1.8 and 2.0 items are very different sizes. drill the old pin out and buy a box of roll pins from halfords to fit the new one. then youll need to get a dizzy spacer for the dizzy from TSR, once fitted this bolts in nicely. youll need a fuel pump as the 1.8 is mechanical. not expensive, www.fastroadcars.co.uk sell Huco pumps thatll do the trick with minimal wiring. then for the breather, i just found a breather filter that fits the block breather in my local halfords, then a smaller one in the cam cover. Use the clutch and flywheel for the box youre using. then away you go. the toilet bowl exhaust manifold fits, but the later 6 bolt doesnt without a spacer, thats my next job. think thats it.oh, you need to block off the injector ports if using a gti head. then get the timing and fuelling set up as you would anyway.looks standard under the hood and goes well enough for fun!