Smoke through dash

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
jim91
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Smoke through dash

Post by jim91 »

If bit old oil on manifold behind rocker you reckon that could be the culprit? Rocker was changed recently, maybe manifold just needs another good clean, anything you'd reccommend???

Coolant ain't dropping and mate had it to replace fuse box and gave all electrics a good test and no issues so that's them ruled out I'd think.

Cheers for help dude!

jim91

Post by jim91 »

How can fumes get in through heater etc anyway? Bit concerning as exhaust fumes etc could come in too surely.

TBH has me wanting to sell it as don't like the thought of breathing that crap in. Had it 9years and love it to bits so really don't want to, but it's doing my head in!

james butler

Post by james butler »

when you look under the bonnet at the top of the bulkhead should be a piece of rubber trim that seals against the bonnet and prevents noxious fumes getting into the plenum chamber and thus sucked into the car through the air blower.
if yours is missing or damaged that would let smoke and stuff get into the car.
still doesn't explain why you are getting smoke in the first place though.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
jim91

Post by jim91 »

Cheers dude, seal defo there, must check its integraty tomorrow and make sure in place!

jim91

Post by jim91 »

:dash: the new rocker gasket that has done about 200miles if even is spewing oil onto the top of manifold :dash:

At least I know what the cause...............I think.

Seal on bulkhead seems to be making good contact with bonnet, head before vaseline good at revatalising old seals, anyone concur before I rehydrate it LOL

jim91

Post by jim91 »

New gasket fitted with some gasket sealant for good measure.................couple of days and spewing out more oil than ever!!!

Have a rubber conversion kit ordered from Heritage, should be here today.

Anyone know anyway to stop fumes getting in if seal is ok?