intermittent starting! can anyone help!

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Little_bro
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: intermittent starting! can anyone help!

Post by Little_bro »

I've had a similar problem on my 944. Which turned out to be a corroded connecting block spade in the wiring loom between the solenoid to a connector in the engine bay. According to my scirocco mk2 Haynes manual (page 290 85 models onwards) the red and black wire from the solenoid is connected to a connecting terminal (t1d) near the brake master cylinder. If the connector has corrosion in it or a poor connection this might cause the solenoid not to engage.

RossWP

Post by RossWP »

I'll have a look at that when I get a minute and it's not dark.

For the time being can I just wire a push button switch so it starts in the same way but without having to be under the bonnet? If so what amps would the switch need to be rated at?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm not good at electrics but am trying to learn a bit.

Scirocco Register Member Number 1297
1986 GTS Auto
Little_bro

Post by Little_bro »

15 amp should be fine for the red/black wire from terminal 50 on the solenoid.

RossWP

Post by RossWP »

Little_bro wrote:15 amp should be fine for the red/black wire from terminal 50 on the solenoid.
Great, thanks :-D

Scirocco Register Member Number 1297
1986 GTS Auto