MK2 Scirocco Bonnet Sound "Waffle" Pads?

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
jdw66
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: MK2 Scirocco Bonnet Sound "Waffle" Pads?

Post by jdw66 »

Hi, im also interested as the underside of my bonnet is butt naked at the moment since i scraped the remains of old pads off about 2 years ago. Kind regards, john.

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

FRIDAY update - note back from the supplier

'Great, thanks Sean. I’ll let you know when it arrives. It shouldn’t take too long for us to get a development sample back to you. As you say it could be that the material is still produced out there somewhere but it doesn’t look like anything we already stock- I agree its well worth sourcing original materials if possible. I will speak to our VW man about it as he might have some ideas.'

Serial Rocco-ist.........
creg

Post by creg »

I'd also be interested in a set

Oggy
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Oggy »

GTXTRA wrote:FRIDAY update - note back from the supplier

'Great, thanks Sean. I’ll let you know when it arrives. It shouldn’t take too long for us to get a development sample back to you. As you say it could be that the material is still produced out there somewhere but it doesn’t look like anything we already stock- I agree its well worth sourcing original materials if possible. I will speak to our VW man about it as he might have some ideas.'
Good news thanks for all your kind help, lets hope they can sort this as there quite obviously is a ready market

Dave

essextom

Post by essextom »

Put me down for a set

farley381

Post by farley381 »

I'm interested, but would like to know the price first.

Here's a thought though, beings as you seem to have set up a rapport with them;

You have supplied them with templates so that they could re-manufacturing to original design/spec.
But, would they also consider producing sets made from standard, off the roll (10mm?) sound-proofing felt.

That would be much cheaper. I'm all for originality, but also practicality too.

Cheers,

Andy

1987 GTX (Flash Silver)
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Update from Newtons

''Wrapping gratefully received- we’ve also picked up a bonnet from a local scrappy- the foam was completely shot but it will allow us to test out what we manage to come up with. Conscious of the fact that our felt backed PVC, while of a good quality, will probably look a little bit vintage under a Mk2 Scirocco bonnet, I am investigating a possible source of waffle type neoprene foam. This appears to be visually very similar to the original, but is expensive. Volume may bring the price down and we haven’t even considered yield etc. yet… but anyway work is in hand! If we can work with the Neoprene, I will forward the sample for your approval/comparison with the original stuff.
Thanks again for the pieces.''

fev1983

Post by fev1983 »

I would also be interested in this,,, I did a diy job on mine last year but not happy with it.
I will watch with interest to see what happens..

Danny

DJPremier

Post by DJPremier »

Deffo one set for me please..

Shiny Metallic Brown MKII Storm
Aardent

Post by Aardent »

Hi hard following who's managed to find what
GTxextra mentioned newtons, thomasd mentioned pelicans stateside
Gtxextra you mentioned templates- are these available ? Appreciate if someone could let me know where they eventually got and for what price. Just bought a 84 Storm and want to start work on her !

'84 Storm-Cosmos Blue...
'83 GL Single wiper
'90 Merc 500 SEC
plus a couple of daily's
and a few classics on reserve !
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Not sure what's confusing here - Newtons are working on sourcing the material in order to prep a development kit using a template I have sent them.

As soon as I get that feedback Ill add it to this thread.

JDUB

Post by JDUB »

Count me in please. I'd buy 1 set.

stormchaser

Post by stormchaser »

Another 2/3 sets needed here as well. Count me in.

1982 Golf Cabby GLi - Black
1984 Scirocco Strom 16V - Cosmos Blue
1985 Scirocco Storm Havana Brown
1989 Golf Rallye Tornado Red
1993 Golf Cabby Classic line
1995 Corrado Storm Midnight Blue
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Update from Newtons -

I’ve been away for a week so little to report- that said I have received one sample back from an acoustic foam manufacturer- unfortunately they haven’t any neoprene in stock at the moment and could only send the sample (pics attached) which is waffled natural rubber. I’m very happy with the appearance and I hope that they can supply some neoprene and a sensible quote in due course. The rubber will not be a ‘goer’ as it is heavy, not flame retardant, and hideously expensive- but it does look the part. Their neoprene should match visually as they say they use the same mould for both.

I am waiting on a couple of other suppliers too who could possibly offer waffle pattern foam; fingers crossed. I note with interest your healthy forum activity- very encouraging.

Regards

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Update - not the perfect result but here's the latest news from the team at Newton.

''Hi Sean,
Sorry I have not been in touch positively in the last couple of weeks. Unfortunately I’ve not had much luck sourcing a viable material to match the waffle appearance- the neoprene sheet which I hoped would prove a good bet came out at £167 a sheet- which was just enough to cut one set of the insulation- far too expensive.

You mentioned an easy to clean alternative would be considered- can I send you a sample of our black ‘Hardura’ material? This is a tough felt backed PVC, which we would cut to shape and which we could supply with some high temp glue to fix in place. We already offer this for models like the Mini and Minor, generally where specified it works well and is very durable. If you think this might work let me know your address and I will send a piece ASAP for you to consider. From there I could probably draw up a cutting tool and maybe have it back for the end of July for you to sample.''

I've already got a Mk1 Scirocco panel to fit to my car in the same material - I'll put some pictures up when I can, in the meantime here is the link to their website re the Mk1 kit - http://www.newtoncomm.co.uk/cars/vw-gol ... ucts-3231/