HERMAN THE GERMAN! '91 Scala 20vt

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
treefingers
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: HERMAN THE GERMAN! '91 Black Scala 20vt in the making

Post by treefingers »

bengould wrote:Looking great. Am slightly jealous because your "nearly" finished and I'm just in the process of getting started.
I'm a long way off yet going to try and get as much together as I can before I even start. No doubt I'll miss something, but trying to be well prepared.
Just 1 question, I did have a read back through but couldn't find anything. What intercooler are you planning on using?
I've read loads of how to guides but not managed to find a definite "this is the one to use" yet.

Ben.

Cheers man! Ah I wouldn't say nearly finished, he still don't have his heart in him! Ha. What's your setup gonna be man? What you got already?

I think I'm going to get this intercooler>> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200791391130? ... 1423.l2649

IC5059. Cheap too. I initially wanted a G60 one but I need this shape for fitment. I'm getting the smallest intercooler I can to minimise turbo lag. Going to try and keep the pipes as short as possible too for the same reason!

Good luck

bengould
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by bengould »

So far I've already got a diesel 02j gearbox and cable shift in the car. Got a golf agu engine loom and ECU but still a bit undecided whether to get the immobiliser removed or get something standalone. That's about it so far.

Ben.

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

Cool man. Got a thread started yet!?

Exhaust reducer made up in steel :)

Got my tyres fitted to my new wheels. Axe ex2 15 by 8 all round, et25 with Toyo T1R 195 45 tyres. Never seen these on a mk2 roc so though they'd be cool, they feel pretty light too. Slight stretch but nothing crazy. I wound the coils down a bit to see what it would look like but as there's no engine I can't set the height yet. Even at this height theres about 3 inches between the frame by the wishbones and the ground eek. Not going to go much lower than this!

Gonna throw some spacers in the rear, probably 20mm.

I put the fronts on and they were sticking out a lot, so I pulled them in by the camber on the struts and they looked perfect. But when I lowered it the camber pushed the rims into the coilovers so I had so bring the camber back out again. Basically I can't get them to sit inside the arches enough at the moment. I'm hoping a 5mm spacer on the front will sort this; I'll be able to get a little negative camber without the rim touching the struts. That's the plan.

Love the dish on these though. Can't go wrong for the price I paid for them. Eventually I'll get some OZ turbos tho! £££

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

Getting a little rocco obsessed at the moment. I seem to be thinking about it first thing in the morning until I go to bed...

If anyone wants to know which alternator belt to use with a 1.8t that has no power steering or air conditioning its a 6pk923, from a Seat Ibiza.

Made some spacers for the rear wheels. These go between the stub axle and the rear beam, and they're 4x5mm thick aluminium, allowing me to change the spacing in 5mm increments. Had to use M10x45 allen bolts, I only had stainless A2-70 ones which I thought would be as strong as 10.9 steel bolts. It turns out they're about the same as 8.8 though so I'll need to upgrade. First test I went for 20mm spacing which gave me an offset of 5, however the wheel was too far out, the tyre wouldn't tuck so I took one 5mm spacer out to space by 15mm, giving an offset of 10. Could run 20mm spacers with some camber shims, not too keen on throwing anything else behind the stubs though. The bolts in the photo are just there to hold them together.

Here's how it looks with 15mm spacers.. the wheels look too shiny and bling from my iPhone camera, they look better in real life.

After this pic I wound the coilover all the way down to see what it would look like. With the height I will need to strike a balance between looks and performance. It would look awesome completely slammed but I still wanna be able to drive this thing hard, it's all about having fun!!

And I think I've solved the front camber problem.. there's no engine in it (duh). I'm an idiot.

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

bye bye jetex twin tip..

bumpers looking shiney now... need to flat and buff.

Chris6969

Post by Chris6969 »

You selling the Jetex twin tip back box at all?

Roxanne the Rocco
treefingers

Post by treefingers »

you can have the tip but the back box is still on the car, i've welded a single tip onto it.

treefingers

Re: HERMAN THE GERMAN! '91 Scala 20vt

Post by treefingers »

Wow, just had a flick through my first few posts on this thread, my original plans were to 16v it with new suspension and brakes.. I got a little carried away lol. I can totally see how you can, it's addictive once you start replacing things... So I'm still waiting for this bloody LSD to put the engine in!! But good news, it's actually in the UK somewhere...
Woohoo!!

Anyway after all that work sanding and priming and sanding and priming the bumpers to get them smooth and shiny, all the time thinking how sick they were going to look on the car, I put them on and they look rubbish! The gloss sticks out, it needs to match the mirrors/wing etc so I'll be flatting back and respraying with some satin paint. Ah well. All part of the process I guess..

I think I've found someone to do my wiring too which is good, he recommends using the AUQ ECU and I've got a spiders web of Leon loom also so I guess it makes sense. Suppose I can start stripping what I will still need from the original Roc loom, anyone electrical give me some pointers? Lights, indicators, horn, wipers?

June is approaching fast!

isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

my mate put the BAM 20vt in his mk2 Golf. There is a guy that can modify the lume to work with your fuse box etc. I will try and get the details if you want? It was a couple of hundred quid though.

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

isaidthephil wrote:my mate put the BAM 20vt in his mk2 Golf. There is a guy that can modify the lume to work with your fuse box etc. I will try and get the details if you want? It was a couple of hundred quid though.
well my first option was qpeng for £900 so anything less is a bonus :p that'd be cool if you could man! where's he based? did he do ecu decoding too?

dozzum

Post by dozzum »

take a look on the mk1 owners forum as there are a few guys on there that make looms.

Rubjohnny is the one that comes to mind and he is a genius of a things VW from what I understand and a very helpful guy.

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

NO MORE WAITING YYEEEEAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

engine in (with temporary gearbox while i build the diff into the other one). gonna be so much space in the bay :) (for a 20v anyway!) i cut a lip from the front upper cross bit where the radiator bolts to (what's it called!) so i'm free to position my rad anywhere i need :) now to find the smallest intercooler i can! ain't gonna be no turbo lag on this baby.
Well chuffed that the mk4 gear shifter fits to the 02a gearbox :)
Well chuffed the driveshafts line up :) should have checked that when i made the mounts really. apparently it's good to live on the edge!
Not so chuffed the steering joint is right in the place where the down pipe should go, couldn't be in a worse position :( Gonna need some creative fabrication to get this to work, otherwise it's new engine mount time, and i don't really want to go there again!!!

Grill and mirrors sprayed satin black.

had to leave the workshop early as i walked along a dark hallway in the workshop to get some biscuits and i walked straight into a low RSJ. got a massive egg in my head now. feels like i'm 6 years old running into lampposts at the evening wedding party. dammit.

Bill

Post by Bill »

Very impressive fella.

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

:)

anyone that wants to run the jetex 2.5" exhaust should know it's not actually 2.5" all the way. the first silencer starts at 2" and then goes up to 2.5" at the end. looks like we won't be using that then. a bit useless here! on the plus side I got a good start on the down pipe but need to order some more 2.5" bends.

the silencer is smaller than 2.5" inside. a bit of straight pipe it is then..