New install

In car entertainment: stereo; speakers; portable devices etc
fonzooorooo
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: New install

Post by fonzooorooo »

if you're happy with the freebie amp, and it doesn't have crossovers, you could do worse than hunting ebay for electronic crossovers. They're out of fashion now,(tend to be built in to amps, headunits or both) so can be found very cheap!
eg:
Item number: 220753823561

Beddo88

Post by Beddo88 »

hmm.. yea, but im gunna need an amp to power the front comps anyway, so i'd rather have it in one unit. Less space then, and easier to tidy. Nice idea though!

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

I went a bit odd today and bunged in some Alpine 6x4's in the original slots and the am about to mount the components in the rear. Doesn't sound half bad. The biggest thing I noticed is that rotating the 6x4's even slightly towads the seat rather than your shins gives much better clarity

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
Beddo88

Post by Beddo88 »

when you say rotating them around, do you mean vertically (ie aiming them upwards?) How have you adjusted them? Considering moving mine to the front now that i have the sub in the boot, will have to re-wire them as the wiring is shoddy as anything and earthing, but wondered if you'd built a special wooden adapter plate or something to angle them?

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Morning

was playing around this weekend and just tilting them slightly towards the driver give a much better sound. Think I'll end up building a second rear buil to house the components until I can find the time to properly sort the front.

Beddo88

Post by Beddo88 »

Interesting, i'll have to look into it. As i'm still a bit short on cash (stupid student overdrafts..) im thinking i'll just move the 6x4s forward for the time being, at least to get an idea of the sound.

Down side being i need to re-wire both speaker connections anyway as one of them was earthing out and putting the HU into protect mode. Should be a quick job anyway, have you used an MDF frame or anything to adjust the speakers? Or just tried moving them by hand?

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

I don't have any rear seats and I build my own rear cards so I can play around fairly easily.

Beddo88

Post by Beddo88 »

Sorry i meant at the front with the 6x4s? I might have a play at the weekend if im free, try and build something into them.

Beddo88

Post by Beddo88 »

Well had a look atthe weekend, made a couple of speaker pod models. Clarity was slightly improved, and with the sub you dont notice much of a change in the low bassy range. Althouhg it still wasnt quite as good as i'd hoped somehow.

Now considering the idea of doing the components route still but with some 6x4s in the door cards. Dont know if anyone produces a component in 6x4 though?! Otherwise i might have to hash together some sort of crossover for the mid and high to seperate them. Either way, it'll mean i can mount the tweeters anywhere i want, and the mid-range will still be reasonable.

fonzooorooo

Post by fonzooorooo »

crossovers are no problem...

disconnect the tweeters in the 6x4"s. if you do that AFTER the capacitor, you can use that for your new tweeter. That'll have the effect of running the 6x4 cone full range, and the tweeter in high pass. It works in the coax speaker, so it'll work when the tweeter's elsewhere. Mine's currently running this type of setup.

If you want to run the 6x4 cones in low pass, you'll need dedicated crossovers. but you'll soon source some on :ebay: as a crossover from pretty much any components'll do what you want.

I like the concept of doing this, as it allows you to keep the standard grilles. I would definately look at filling the gap round the extremity of the driver though... Time VERY well spent. I reckon the weakest link is actually the outer suspension of the 6x4"s which (by being the same section all the way round) stress the cone unevenly. As far as I can tell, this is why a round cone with a similar surface area will be likely to have better low frequency response. As you're crossing over to a sub, it's unlikely to be an issue for you.

Beddo88

Post by Beddo88 »

OK, so i fell foul of payday yesterday...

Seems like quick a bit of effort to sort out what i wanted, and there werent any comp setups for 6x4s, so i went and er.. accidentally bought some pioneer comps. 5 1/4inch fellas. Should be good though, and the driver fits neatly in the door. (unlike the bright green jobbies he offered me first)

As they fit relatively flush within the door, i should just be able to make an MDF frame for the speaker pod (including something to seal the gap at the side and round the edges, then a second piece shaped to fit the new speaker. Should sit flush, then the tweeters are angled so they will literally just stick tot he top o the dash which is cool! So not cutting involved :)

Going to try attacking that next weekend, will get back to you guys with some results!

Beddo88

Post by Beddo88 »

So been busy most of the weekend enjoying the weather and the finest of entertainment bournemouth had to offer. Have just been having a play with the new speakers, and they make such a difference to the clarity its awesome!! They're fed off the HU too so no need to power them via an amp.

Havent sorted the mid-range properly yet, so not sure how the mid-range will behave, but with the speakers on their own they were running the low notes nicely, so should sound mighty fine once installed in the door. Gunna get onto that this week and next weekend. Hopefully have something sorted i can show u guys soon..

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Meant to update.
Using direct replacement alpines in the doors, tweeters in the dash and the sub. Sound is pretty bloody great, odd set up but I like it. Not sure what to do with the kids at the moment so going to leave them out

Beddo88

Post by Beddo88 »

Nice, i'm not very good with soldering etc so didnt want to mess around with the 6x4s i have now.

Gunna leave those in the back as a bit of filler music, and have the comps in the front. Having the tweeters seperate makes such a massive difference, and these ones sit at about 60 degrees so are pretty much aiming at you which helps. Got until next weekend to get it all sorted, just in time for the weekends long driving.

Crossover to the sub seems a lot more subtle with the comps as well. Will know better when they are in i suppose!

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Just been pointed in this direction...

since people seem to say that the rear speakers are a waste of time (except, presumably, if you're a rear-seat passenger), would it be feasible to get some crossovers and use the rear output for some higher-level front tweeters? That way you wouldn't need to butcher the 6x4s.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX