HERMAN THE GERMAN! '91 Scala 20vt

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
treefingers
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: HERMAN THE GERMAN! '91 Black Scala 20vt in the making

Post by treefingers »

Aha. I'll have to have a look.. the 20v engine is all a bit new to me :)

Mr Postman will be getting strong arms with all the packages arriving this week! This was today's lot.. The fruit's not for Herman though, it just makes me look healthy, although if I was the bowl would be empty, not full!

Sachs VR6 clutch, brand new steering boot from Heritage, more gaskets and a new cast exhaust manifold. The manifold isn't vag, it's aftermarket and should give me a few more horses..

See the restrictive part on the exit of the stock manifold? This new one doesn't have that part. Should flow like Jay-Z's rapping. :)

thebrief_1979
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by thebrief_1979 »

Loving watching this progress

1993 MK2 Flash Red GT2 - sold
Mk1 gls - nearly
vr_powered

Post by vr_powered »

Who is the exhaust manifold from? could do with a decent k04 manifold if they do one

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

The manifold is by Maxspeedingrods. Cheap too, will be interesting to see how it performs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151183098008? ... 1439.l2649

vr_powered

Post by vr_powered »

Ahh registered in china that will be why

dozzum

Post by dozzum »

Everything is made in China these days though.

All the big brand does is give you the confidence that they are happy to put their name to it.

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

Today's little haul.. Febi engine mounts (gotta love Febi), a poly front mount and 22mm master cylinder for the servo that should be arriving this week...

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

Well a satisfying weekend, here's my definitive writeup of...

'Operation Herman the German:mount engine!'

With the engine still on the stand I made up the cambelt mount, this one wasn't too hard to do, but working out the correct placement of the mooting loop on the backplate was crucial and took much umming and ahhing. Anyway, got that one bolted to the engine, lowered the engine in and bolted that side in. As I only had the two arms today I found it easier to jack the car and slide the gearbox in underneath and mate them up that way.. and wow Herman's got a heart! A very valvey heart :)

The string was there so that I could level the engine and check clearances on the bonnet. As it happens the first mount pushed the engine too high, the intake manifold would have fouled the bonnet :O Out it came and the mount was modified accordingly

You can just about see the little rascal..

It could still be close but there's now some clearance here and the bonnet is slightly arched so this should be ok I hope!

With the engine manhandled and suspended in place on the one mount I joined the front loosely.. Note crossmember brace! :) A few paint chips in the engine bay now :( Inevitable but they'll be sorted.

Then set about making the mount to hold the gearbox.. It has no gussets like the mounts you can buy but the design should be so strong due to every seam being welded and the fact the sides are one piece.

Tacked

Seamed and chamfered

New mount pressed in using a vice. Definitely use a press next time! Need to order some long allen bolts for this. I've decided it's all about allen bolts from now on, how could I have been so blind!!? Ahh the travesty. I've already started this on the lights, more to come. Screw crazy modifications! Bolts are the new twin turbos! Lol

Anyway. Where was I? Oh yes! Here's the mount finally playing limpit with the gearbox :)

Then time for the final rear gearbox mount. I made one version from 2mm steel as it's quick and easy to work with..

Then once the dimensions had been set the final mount was made. The side plate is 5mm and the piece with the bend is 3mm. Gotta love them triangles for strength! I tacked the pieces with their edges joined and seamed them.. I like the edge you can get whilst retaining all strength.

In ze motor..

And voila! It has to come out right away as there's no flywheel/clutch/lsd/turbo etc but it means I can get the mounts sprayed all blacky.

And in a beautiful blurry pic I checked to see if my lower brace will fit.. and it will, like a dream :) Pretty pleased with that for a guess!

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

:)

Tonight.. engine and gearbox came promptly back out and the engine mounts received some final strengthening.

Next jobs..
Install all brake parts and lines
Clutch lines (will be getting it's own reservoir)
Chassis notch
Do a shed load of painting random engine bay parts
Gearbox strip, paint and LSD install (when I buy it!)
Then hopefully the engine can go in and stay there!

A 2.5" exhaust system is in the post.. looking forward to making the downpipe! :)

Car's looking on track to be finished by June. That's the plan!

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Mighty.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Superb build.

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
treefingers

Post by treefingers »

full chassis notch last night.. this will stop the driveshafts knocking on the frame. don't know about ride height yet but it's nice to have to option to slam this pup :)

cut out with various 4" grinder discs. semicircle cut and hand bent from 2mm steel. seam welded, seam sealed and stone chipped.

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

2.5" Jetex exhaust arrived. The piping is massive! Going to lose the horrible dual tips for a single inward rolled tip :) It's a crappy photo and you all know what they look like but here we go..

Engine mounts.. finito! I'll start taking pics on my actual camera from now on!

Phew.. as I was typing this I was cooking dinner and a saucepan full of oil (I was cooking chips) just set alight with a flame about 2 feet in the air.. That sh-t me up! I just managed to get it outside and drop it before it burned my hand too bad.. narrow escape! Phew. I need to calm down now!! My house is so smokey!

Anyway where was I? haha. Oh yeah. T'was an engine day today, paint, gaskets, torque wrench.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Tidy....
Glad you are alright with the chip pan fire :focus: ..... Ever thought about oven chips? Much safer...

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
treefingers

Post by treefingers »

mark1gls wrote:Tidy....
Glad you are alright with the chip pan fire :focus: ..... Ever thought about oven chips? Much safer...
thanks.. ha I usually always do oven chips but I was drinking 19 yr old whiskey. i blame the whiskey!