crankshaft pulley?

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
bengould
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: crankshaft pulley?

Post by bengould »

Yes you should be able to do it without taking the bottom cover off.
I'm quite sure there is enough room to do it without taking the belt off anything else too.
Just keep an eye on your timing marks to make sure that nothing gets moved while the belts loose.
If you get it before Sunday and don't manage to fit it bring it with you and I'll gladly give you a hand, I always carry a boot full of tools "just in case"

Ben

gayle

Post by gayle »

Seriously?thatd be amazing!i just know i got lucky doing the belt once.if i undo anything theres a 98% chance i'll mess up the timing.i'm the girl that managed to set the inside of a locked car on fire without being in it.now thats talent!

Trying to convince myself just now that the cars supposed to be rat look instead of just neglected.every year at volksfling i meet all the shiny sciroccos and hide mine in the corner...

boycott shampoo.demand real poo.
bengould

Post by bengould »

Not a problem. If it doesn't turn up in time I'm not too far away from you anyway.

Ben

Old Mac Rocco

Post by Old Mac Rocco »

gayle
its all witchcraft...

:zombie:

gayle
i'm the girl that managed to set the inside of a locked car on fire without being in it.

:zombie:

Starting to get a bit worried about Sunday, think I'll look out the garlic, large cross and silver bullets!!!!!!!!!! :hugegrin: :hugegrin:

Can't find a smilie sh-ting its self.
:hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

Is this the same gayle who owns this beauty, parked outside her country home in Biggar.
??????????????
See you Sunday even if we have to tow you there. :hugegrin: :hugegrin:
:bye:

A heart broken GLI - R.I.P. A loveable GT. A practical Polo now deceased.
gayle

Post by gayle »

Ben- youre a star.thankyou so much :hugegrin:

Sandy- yes,thats my tent and the rustbucket.thanks for the doughnuts at biggar x

seanr68

Post by seanr68 »

Drain coolant into a bucket or other suitable receptacle, slacken drive belt and remove belt, undo the 3x jubilee clips holding the hoses on, mark which is which just in case, slacken 4 x alan bolts on pump body, remove pump and rubber seal/o ring, remove thermostat, clean mating faces with a bit of wire wool/wet n dry, get new pump and new seal, fit thermostat and housing, i use wellseal on the o rings just for a little extra insurance against leakage. Bolt up the new pump, refit and tighten the hoses(worth cleaning the inside of hose that fits to hose mountings on pump with a cloth, refit and adjust drive belt, refill system with lovely new coolant or re-use the coolant you took out if its not old/contaminated

gayle

Post by gayle »

Thanks sean.fitted the new waterpump last week and put new coolant in.made absolutely no difference to the rattling noise but the car runs cooler now which has to be a good thing

seanr68

Post by seanr68 »

Lol note to self:read full thread first before responding. :blush:

gayle

Post by gayle »

i appreciate all help,even if it is a few days too late.you missed out the "discover waterpump pulley allen headed bolts have rounded and attack them with an anglegrinder instead" part though.and also the "discover that rear housing bolts have sheared,attempt to drill and tap them,discover that lifes too short and shell out for the complete waterpump instead" part. :ire:

gayle

Post by gayle »

Massive thanks to bengould and maccoll for fixing the rattle yesterday.now the stereo doesnt have to be so loud.i promise next time i'll get dirty too though.
Gayle x

marcus

Post by marcus »

So go on then, tell us what it was after that palaver!

1985 GTL 1.8

Member number 928 (wish I had one)
gayle

Post by gayle »

Bottom timing belt pulley cover was gubbed.was making a hell of a noise for a plastic cover but there you go.and i'll never have to renew anything in that side of the engine bay for years....

Old Mac Rocco

Post by Old Mac Rocco »

Wish I'd known this was happening as I was at a loose end and a wee blast up the M8 would have been nice.
Anymore surgeries on the horizon ?????????
:bye:

A heart broken GLI - R.I.P. A loveable GT. A practical Polo now deceased.
gayle

Post by gayle »

Hopefully not for a while.my back grass needs cut though if youre really bored?