URGENT Help needed!!!

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
smallan
fill in the right answer: 10

URGENT Help needed!!!

Post by smallan »

Right I have one big headache with my Rocco.

I've swapped my carb EX engine with at DX injection engine. I've swapped all the engine loom and wired in the fuel pump and is all working great but the bloody thing won't start. The engine turns over great but just won't fire. I've got fuel, air and spark, it will crank over and over and then will back fire up the inlet manifold.

Any suggestions? Was thinking that it might be a timing issue?

scala92

Re: URGENT Help needed!!!

Post by scala92 »

Yeah, check the timing but also look at it from the point of view No1 cylinder is TDC and the camshaft is that as well. That means taking off the cam cover and making sure the No.1 cam lobes are in the correct position.

seanr68

Post by seanr68 »

Timing most likely.
A common thing that happens is that it ends up 180 degrees out, easily done. Just swap the ht leads on the dizzy cap for the on opposite. Not neccesarily the correct way, but definitley the quickest.

smallan

Post by smallan »

I'll have a look at it tomorrow as it's stuck on the ramp. Just thought someone might have a clue or a fresh mind as me and my mate we scratching head all day yesterday. Also with it back firing we knew we had fuel and took spark plugs out and it had spark took air filter out to get more air.

Also would not having any coolant in engine stop it from working?

seanr68

Post by seanr68 »

You can run the engine without coolant, but dont do it for long. I wouldn't run it more than a minute or so.
Try swapping ht leads over for the opposite number just to see if it is 180 degrees out.
Whats the spark like? Is it a nice bright blue spark? If it looks yellow/weak, then once its under compression,(ie: plug screwed in and engine cranking,)then it may NOT be creating a spark. Its one of those physics things that only really clever people understand fully, i certainly cant explain why, i just know under compression its harder to create a spark. :hehe:

smallan

Post by smallan »

Cheers for the help guys we've found out the problem. The timing was way out!!!! Went old school and got cyl1 to TDC, got the cam sent to cyl1 and after finally finding the mark for TDC on the dizzy casting she fired up straight away. Run sweet now just got a few other thing to tidy up and she be back on the road. :hugegrin:

Thanks once again guys and Sean might pop round and show you it when I'm done and explain those physics to you. :hugegrin:

seanr68

Post by seanr68 »

smallan wrote:Cheers for the help guys we've found out the problem. The timing was way out!!!! Went old school and got cyl1 to TDC, got the cam sent to cyl1 and after finally finding the mark for TDC on the dizzy casting she fired up straight away. Run sweet now just got a few other thing to tidy up and she be back on the road. :hugegrin:

Thanks once again guys and Sean might pop round and show you it when I'm done and explain those physics to you. :hugegrin:
Nice one mate, glad you sorted it.
I dare say i'll be asking some questions soon myself. Just about to carry out an engine swap plus a load of other things on my rocco.
Your welcome round for a brew anytime pal, just bring your overalls, and i'll supply the tea. :hugegrin:

smallan

Post by smallan »

Which swap you going for? I took mine for a spin last night round works car park and is now alot lot quicker. Just few things to tidy up and she'll be back in daily use. :hugegrin:

seanr68

Post by seanr68 »

To be honest, it'll be a piece o p*ss doing the engine as its a Dx lump thats been breathed on by TSR. Its an old Brands Hatch lump, that i've just totally rebuilt it so it should be good for a few thousand miles. The pain will be the 4 branch and sorting my brakes out if owt.
Got engine bay to clean and a tiny bit of rust prevention to take care of. Apart from that everything should be straight forward....ish! :hugegrin: