Fuel pump fitment.

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
AndyPt
fill in the right answer: 15

Fuel pump fitment.

Post by AndyPt »

I'm currently in the middle of a 2l 8v conversion in my GT2, Where is the best place to fit a fuel pump?
I was thinking in the engine bay just because there's plenty of access, but of course the pump is meant to push not pull from the tank.
So yeah, where do I fit it?

wasted
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Fuel pump fitment.

Post by wasted »

Why not fit it where the old one was mounted? Makes sense really. It's under the rear wheel arch on the driver's side.

'89 Scala 1.8i - Daily drive, Work in progress!
AndyPt

Post by AndyPt »

I thought the carb models didn't come with fuel pumps and they had mechanical ones built in to the block, or something of the sort?

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

On the injection scirocco/golfs its just infront of the fuel tank, near the rear driverside axle mount. If you lift your rear seat and pull down the carpet by the rear seat there should be hole already there were the wires goes through for the fuel level float in the tank so you could run power on the inside of the car then out of that hole.

Im not sure if there is any mounts already there on the GT2 but worth a look.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
wasted

Post by wasted »

Didn't know it was a carb, sorry - as above :) you should be able to fabricate something if the mounts aren't there.

'89 Scala 1.8i - Daily drive, Work in progress!
Eurobox

Post by Eurobox »

AndyPt wrote:I thought the carb models didn't come with fuel pumps and they had mechanical ones built in to the block, or something of the sort?
Yes they have a mech pump bolted on the block which is operated by a cam via a lobe on the pump.

I suppose if you're wanting to locate the pump in your engine bay you could pretty much fit it wherever there's going to be room, I'd imagine you'd need to fashion some sort of bracket to hold it in place.

There's a nice little space at the front of the engine bay (drivers side under the headlight) that's got a nice flat surface and it's pretty low down which is good because I'd imagine it's better to have the pump at fuel tank level rather than higher up, that might be a good place to fit it, connect it via an inline filter to your fuel feed pipe on the bulkhead.

That'll make it easily accessible too.

1991 Scirocco GT 16v - daily go kart
2004 350Z GT - weekender
2015 Qashqai Tekna - shopping trolley and taxi
Risocco

Post by Risocco »

Eurobox wrote:There's a nice little space at the front of the engine bay (drivers side under the headlight) that's got a nice flat surface and it's pretty low down which is good because I'd imagine it's better to have the pump at fuel tank level rather than higher up, that might be a good place to fit it, connect it via an inline filter to your fuel feed pipe on the bulkhead.

Yup, that's where I put mine.

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
AndyPt

Post by AndyPt »

Risocco wrote:
Eurobox wrote:There's a nice little space at the front of the engine bay (drivers side under the headlight) that's got a nice flat surface and it's pretty low down which is good because I'd imagine it's better to have the pump at fuel tank level rather than higher up, that might be a good place to fit it, connect it via an inline filter to your fuel feed pipe on the bulkhead.

Yup, that's where I put mine.
Excellent cheers guys.

DT1

Post by DT1 »

AndyPt wrote:There's a nice little space at the front of the engine bay (drivers side under the headlight) that's got a nice flat surface and it's pretty low down which is good because I'd imagine it's better to have the pump at fuel tank level rather than higher up, that might be a good place to fit it, connect it via an inline filter to your fuel feed pipe on the bulkhead.
'Under the headlight' doesn't sound as if there is much space between the front of the car and fuel components in the event of a front end crash.

Risocco

Post by Risocco »

True, but its not like the metering head is out of harms way really?

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
Bonusrocco

Post by Bonusrocco »

Carb models have the mounting points for a fuel pump and accumulator as standrard. if it was me though i'd mount it under the chassis leg near the driver side engine mount. Hidden then, and you could use the original pump and mounts on anti vibration bobbins.

So many plans, so little time