Gutted - any advice appreciated

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
MacColl
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Gutted - any advice appreciated

Post by MacColl »

It looks pretty rotten but looks like you have a plan going.

Removing the axle/rear beam would help in terms of seeing what needs done and I'm sure will look less intimidating. If it was me I would cut away the worst of the rust without going near the mounting points as a reference and then use Bilt Hamber Deox gelhttp://www.bilthamber.com/pro-introduction.php ... e=deox-Gel to draw out any minor rust (They also do a great cavity waxhttp://www.bilthamber.com/pro-introduction.php ... ynax%20S50) Then you can evaluate how that part 13 can be used in relation to what's good and do more aesthetic panel work on the outer skin etc.

Sounds like you have someone on board who can see it as as fixable :good:

Hope you get the parts sorted from VW Heritage, same as Golf I believe?

If I ever get time I'm going to fix this on my Golf 'project' :zombie: ..

Turbogirlie

Post by Turbogirlie »

Owch....good luck with the resto on the Golf!

Just waiting for some further confirmation from VW Heritage before I place the order, but it's looking promising! If my garage don't want to do the job, at least I've then got the part on order/delivered, for someone else to crack on with, as currently sitting outside, even more exposed to the elements than before. :beg:

Very helpful people at VW Heritage - makes a refreshing change! :yup:

Luv Turbogirlie (aka Kaz)
VW Scirocco GTX (DX 1.8 8v) 1985
markh
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by markh »

Dont know if this is of any help Kaz, http://sciroccoregisterforum.co.uk/carf ... 13&start=0

Ant ( the Autoad) has fitted replacement beam mount panels on one of his Mk1 projects too.

Don't ask me....it was like that when i got here !
Turbogirlie

Post by Turbogirlie »

Wow Mark - thanks for that - oh yes lots of help! What a turnround you did with project Dare - fancy doing El Scorchio? Lol!

Will chat with Colin on Monday, if you've no objection, also email him the link to your thread to illustrate work - am confident that my buying the left rear side member will be the right option.

:buddy:

markh
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by markh »

Feel free to use the link Kaz, I can do it for you if you run out of options closer to home. :good:

Don't ask me....it was like that when i got here !
Turbogirlie

Post by Turbogirlie »

:buddy: Cheers Mark, will bear your post in mind if cannot get the work done closer to home. :buddy:

Just realised I need to SORN El Scorchio - due to the stupid new rules - have insured the Celica & cancelled my policy on El Scorchio 2wks ago - just got the logbook through (it's a red one as an import - OOH!) & a flyer reminding me about new regs..........ooops! :bye:

Bloody DVLA! Oh well... :diablo:

Turbogirlie

Post by Turbogirlie »

Been a while but update for what it's worth.

El Scorchio SORN'd a bit quick - before DVLA cottoned on & fined me. Phew! :swoon:

Ordered the left rear side member from VW Heritage - big thanks to Andy for patience & pictures of the part. :hugegrin:

4 weeks later the part arrived, took it to the same garage (no didn't move the car from there) and Colin assessed what needs doing & if he can 'retro fit' the part - on Wednesday he said yes, it was possible for him to do this, but will need to set himself time aside to get into it!!!!! :hugegrin: :hugegrin: :hugegrin: :hugegrin:

I am relieved, as I do trust his workmanship & the car is already there, no need to borrow mate's car with towbar, hire a car trailer....

Told Colin that it's my Christmas present to myself, getting my car back - he gulped! :hehe:

One happier Turbogirlie, depending on the extent of rot on the right rear axle mount, as this was an advisory at the MOT. Hoping to get away with plating, as MarkH did. :whistle:

Old Mac Rocco

Post by Old Mac Rocco »

Well done. :hugegrin:
Thought you had decided to give it up as it was so bad. :crying:
Hope you get your Christmas present early. :yahoo: :yahoo:

A heart broken GLI - R.I.P. A loveable GT. A practical Polo now deceased.
Turbogirlie

Post by Turbogirlie »

LOL! No, not given up on the old gal, just took a while, Colin was on holiday for 2wks, then waiting for photos from VW Heritage to show Colin, but they weren't adequate enough for him to make an informed decision, then 4 wks for the part to arrive..... :shocking:

Know I could have taken it elsewhere, but that is another nightmare, arranging a trailer, mate with tow bar...round here it's a logistical nightmare being relatively rural. I do trust Colin's workmanship, he's not come across this before, most others would scrap the car & keep with the £400 runaround that I got, but the love you have for your Scirocco is something else...

Fingers crossed for a speedy repair, don't want to drive the Celica if we get bad weather, due to the tyre size (205-50-15) she aquaplanes VERY easily, so don't hold out much hope for the snow...it's a nice car though!

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Turbogirlie wrote: don't want to drive the Celica if we get bad weather, due to the tyre size (205-50-15) she aquaplanes VERY easily
Get a set of decent branded winter tyres (not necessarily snow tyres).
The wifes Bora ran a well used set of Bridgestone blizzaks in the cold weather last winter and was awesome in the snow - 205/55/16.

Octavia elegance kombi TDI
Turbogirlie

Post by Turbogirlie »

9 months on, hoping to get the car back by the end of this month........ :shocking:

Garage been busy.......Colin too nice to say no & as I have a 'second' car, not necessarily a priority.

As fuel starting to leak from the filler neck of Celica (think the rubber's perished) it's now bumped the Scirocco up the priority list. Am not spending out on the Celica as well, when all I'll get is to sell it for spares or repair - rear sills are iffy...

Nearly there......... :buddy:

Nate

Post by Nate »

Turbogirlie wrote:9 months on, hoping to get the car back by the end of this month........ :shocking:
:good:

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
Turbogirlie

Post by Turbogirlie »

Thanks Nate, I'd like to believe there's light at the end of the tunnel now......... :yup:

Turbogirlie

Post by Turbogirlie »

:hugegrin: :hugegrin: :hugegrin: :hugegrin: :hugegrin: :hugegrin: :hugegrin:
Saturday 02/06/12 - El Scorchio has tax, mot & insurance & is back in Shobdon where she belongs!

Forgot about no power steering after the relative comfort of the Celica.........now I remember the driving experience of a Scirocco!

Let the fun begin!

:beers:Thanks for all of your help & support guys. :beers:

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Where are the pictures?

Good to know you're back on the road.

Register Member 829
--