Honed my clutchless driving skills today

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
seanr68
fill in the right answer: 10

Honed my clutchless driving skills today

Post by seanr68 »

So, i went to Barnsley(about a 15 mile drive)today to pick up a 4T gearbox. Well, my clutch has been threatening me for a while and today it finally gave up the ghost. So, a drive home from the chaps house to mine without the clutch was required. I've done this before but forgot just how stressful it can be. Everyone who pulled out in front or behind me was a Tw@t, same with anyone who overtook me. lol
Roundabouts were everywhere and i was relieved when i got on the M1. Got of M1 4 junctions later and thought i was been clever going the back way, instead of negotiating another 2 roundabouts....wrong!! i went the back street only to be confronted with roadworks and temporary traffic lights. Damn. Stop the car, switch off engine, put in first and hope the starter will have enough umphh to get it rolling. It did! phew.
Well, i got home eventually all in one piece.

So, a lesson for everyone here is: If you think your cable is ready for pulling through the bulkhead, get it sorted straight away. Unlike me :ire:

DT1

Re: Honed my clutchless driving skills today

Post by DT1 »

I know where you are coming from, drove over 70 miles once with no clutch pedal.

An emergency solution I saw (on here I think :scratch: ) is to carry 2 pairs of mole grips and clamp the cable either side of the bulkhead.

Nate

Post by Nate »

seanr68 wrote:So, a lesson for everyone here is: If you think your cable is ready for pulling through the bulkhead, get it sorted straight away. Unlike me :ire:
or at least carry an AA card :hugegrin:

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
seanr68

Post by seanr68 »

Screw the AA.
I once stuck the wrong fuel in my passat. They wouldn't take me home even though I had home relay. They said because it was my error, they would have to take me to a recommended garage! I paid the recoverery guy £20 and he took me home, where I sorted the misfuel the next day. Reckon I saved over £100 there.
I now use autoaid. Very good rates.

seanr68

Post by seanr68 »

DT1 wrote:I know where you are coming from, drove over 70 miles once with no clutch pedal.

An emergency solution I saw (on here I think :scratch: ) is to carry 2 pairs of mole grips and clamp the cable either side of the bulkhead.
That's a good solution. Wish I'd seen it prior to todays debacle. Lol.

Nate

Post by Nate »

seanr68 wrote:I now use autoaid
who also won't tow you for a mis-fuel. none of the recovery clubs will. same as if your spare tyre isn't serviceable. local garage or place of safety only

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
seanr68

Post by seanr68 »

Nate wrote:
seanr68 wrote:I now use autoaid
who also won't tow you for a mis-fuel. none of the recovery clubs will. same as if your spare tyre isn't serviceable. local garage or place of safety only
This is true, but I'm paying 40 odd quid less per annum. ;)

Brunty

Post by Brunty »

Clutch operation-less driving skills are a must for Scirocco drivers IMO, ended up doing it in several and for some considerable distances. It's worth making sure the engine is in tip top condition as sometimes you need to start the engine up hill! :lol:

Brunty