Pierburg (Zenith) Woes - it just won't start!

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
dozzum
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Pierburg Woes - it just won't start!

Post by dozzum »

Before you muck around with the carb too much..

Compression Have you tested it?

Fuel I think we've covered its not this but if your still not sure then now the carb is off chuck some down the manifold and spray some easystart down there, if it doesnt fire then its not fuel.

Spark Youve replaced it all from what I can see, have you tried earthing a plug to be sure its sparking? And like someone said earlier does it have points?

Timing have your put a light on it yet

G60MAT

Post by G60MAT »

dozzum wrote:Before you muck around with the carb too much..

Compression Have you tested it?

Fuel I think we've covered its not this but if your still not sure then now the carb is off chuck some down the manifold and spray some easystart down there, if it doesnt fire then its not fuel.

Spark Youve replaced it all from what I can see, have you tried earthing a plug to be sure its sparking? And like someone said earlier does it have points?

Timing have your put a light on it yet
1) Haven't tested compression.
2) Will try this...
3) Yes its earthed/sparking fine, checked all this today, no sure on points actually...
4) Not checked timing , don't have a light, but can likely get it checked next week.

:good:

Golf R Mk7.5 Estate | '96 Corrado VR6 | '77 Scirocco Mk1 G60 | '75 Scirocco Mk1 USA Barn Find
Trimsport Owner | Trimsport Store https://trimsport.bigcartel.com
Porsche Wheel Trader | WANTED: Eta Beta 17" or 18" Split Rims
dozzum

Post by dozzum »

I got a timing light from halfords the other day, £35 on trade card.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_255216

They also do a pressure tester, Guessing £20 max on trade.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_255216

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

Mate, just been looking at the pictures on your resto thread and I may be seeing things but it looks like your plug leads are not fitted in the correct firing order. This would certainly stop it from firing up! I hope it is the case and it is an easy fix.

Also, the in-line fuel filter looks black, have you changed it?

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
dozzum

Post by dozzum »

Yeh it does look that way. You have them in the right order in the dizzy cap but you just need to move them all 1 place clockwise I think.

Should be 1,3,4,2 starting from the top left.

Nice spot!!!

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

G60MAT wrote: Yeah tried fuel and EZ Start straight down the top, and it coughs and pops but still doesn't start, making us think that the carb just isn't pushing the fuel any further... :beg:
If it does not fire up for a few seconds after doing the above it ain't a fueling issue.
I know this sounds too obvious, but have you treble checked the plug leads are on in the right order ?

85 GTS in Pewter Grey Metallic + 86 VW T25 "Tin Top" Camper
G60MAT

Post by G60MAT »

Cheers guys, to be honest they have been on and off so many times you may be right! We had set the car up on 1,3,4,2 but will check.

In other news, it looks like its actually not a Pierburg Carb! its a Solex/Zenith with a Pierburg fuel start/stop - Not sure if this is common or has been hacked together in the past, but it all looks pretty original...

For now gonna focus on a full clean of the carb this week and then carefully put it all back together and try again... :thankyou:

Golf R Mk7.5 Estate | '96 Corrado VR6 | '77 Scirocco Mk1 G60 | '75 Scirocco Mk1 USA Barn Find
ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

I did say previously that it probably isn't a Pierburg, as MK1's had Zenith/Solex.

My money is on the firing order!

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
mark83

Post by mark83 »

I would have thought the zenith carb would be original, that's whats on my 78 .I would recommend cleaning the contacts on the points and re gapping if you have not already done this .
My car had been sat up for 10 years ,one of the problems I found was the pipe on the end of the fuel pick in the tank had dissolved in the stale fuel and blocked the pick up ,may be yours has a partial blockage.Worth a look maybe.

76 auto , 78 gls , 83gti
dozzum

Post by dozzum »

Youve got the firing order right, just youve started from the wrong place.

hiltow

Post by hiltow »

I know that this isn't going to get the car started, but the Zenith / Solex is the original carb, and the Pierburg bits on it is also correct - Zenith / Solex was taken over by Pierburg, with later units carrying the Pierburg stamp.

Assuming your plug leads are in the right order, it's worth testing your compression, as mentioned above, and your timing.

If your getting fuel and a spark in the right order, it should fire. However, don't be fooled into thinking your ignition system is fine just because you're getting sparks - it's the quality and timing of the sparks that matter.

I had exactly the same problems as you the other year - the sparks I was getting looked like the ends of the plugs were lighting up like little light bulbs. The spark needs to be exactly that, lightning quick.

My money's on the fault being in your dizzy if none of the latest recommendations do the trick. If it doesn't have a hall sender fitted, have you changed the condenser?

G60MAT

Post by G60MAT »

Carb turned out to be a Zenith 2B with Pierburg fuel shut off, now all cleaned up, no major horrors, just need to pick up a new gasket before re fitting later this week... :lazy:

G60MAT

Re: Pierburg (Zenith) Woes - it just won't start!

Post by G60MAT »

All ready to put back together this weekend but need the carb gasket seal - 049129281C Tried VW Heritage who were very helpful and can get me one for £9 but it will take two and half weeks from Germany! :help: Not the end of the world but can anyone else get one or point me to where I can get one in the next few day? :buddy:

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

G60MAT wrote: can anyone else get one or point me to where I can get one in the next few day? :buddy:
http://www.gowerlee.dircon.co.uk

Try them.

85 GTS in Pewter Grey Metallic + 86 VW T25 "Tin Top" Camper
G60MAT

Post by G60MAT »

ghost123uk wrote:
G60MAT wrote: can anyone else get one or point me to where I can get one in the next few day? :buddy:
http://www.gowerlee.dircon.co.uk

Try them.
Thanks, just tried Jeff - very helpful but only has the full rebuild kit which I don't need and I still may go to a Weber Carb so don't really want the throw all the extra money in to a carb I may not be keeping...