G60?

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

G60?

Post by essextom »

Hi just joined the register,
Bought a 88 scala couple of weeks ago, love the car but i want to make it more unique. Im thinking about doing an engine conversion, was thinking g60, has anyone on the site done a conversion? if so how much fabrication is required/ fannying about is required? also how much did it roughly cost? are there any other conversions to get around 150-200 bhp, which are not too pricey?

mr.brown
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: G60?

Post by mr.brown »

Hello and welcome first of all :beers:

The problem you have is that you're starting off with a carb car. Most of the popular engine conversions - 2.0 16v or G60 or even 1.8T - will require fuel injection. A good compromise might be a 16v engine - 1.8 or 2.0 - and a twin carb set-up. No complicated fueling or electrical issues and easily capable of 150bhp or more with the right set of cams and rolling road set-up.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Did the scala not come with fuel injection in 1988?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
essextom

Post by essextom »

mr.brown wrote:Hello and welcome first of all :beers:

The problem you have is that you're starting off with a carb car. Most of the popular engine conversions - 2.0 16v or G60 or even 1.8T - will require fuel injection. A good compromise might be a 16v engine - 1.8 or 2.0 - and a twin carb set-up. No complicated fueling or electrical issues and easily capable of 150bhp or more with the right set of cams and rolling road set-up.
the problem i have is that i do around 1000 miles a month so i thought a g60 conversion would be more reliable and less thirsty than a tuned carb engine. what would be the differences from converting a carb to an injection? only thing that pops to my mind is the fuel pump which i could overcome with an aftermarket elec unit.

also has has anyone done any brake upgrades?

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

hi, a g60 won't be particularly good on fuel tbh - there have been a few done down the years, a lass called tracey on here has had one done in the last year and is very happy with it. http://www.sciroccoregisterforum.co.uk/ ... 17&t=10699

have a look at the faq section linked above re wider engine conversion ideas.

brakes - loads of ideas in the running gear section below.

welcome.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
ChrisPears

Post by ChrisPears »

If you've got fuel injection, then its quite a straight forward swap if you're just putting a standard G60 in. Little bit of wiring needed to power the ECU, Injectors, Lambda but nothing too major.
If you don't have fuel injection I wouldn't bother with a G60, you'd need new tank, pumps, looms and fuel lines. It's do-able of course, but there would be a lot of messing around involved.

As for how much it costs, that depends on how crazy you go. If you do the work yourself, its probably about 2 grand for standard stuff (make sure you get a good charger!), a front mount intercooler (bin the corrado cooler its small and ugly) and a rallye u-bend charger outlet, I've probably dropped 4 or 5k on my engine over the years but its far from standard.

200bhp is acheivable with bolt on mods and a flowed charger. The k-jet fuel pumps (in good condition) will supply enough for about 250bhp if I remember right.

Fuel economy - A standard G60 can actually get decent mpg, but you have to drive it like a granny, staying off full boost (3/4 throttle'ish). Where's the fun in that?

G60 is a phenominal engine in a scirocco, loads of usable power, and sounds amazing. Sort something for your brakes and suspension and you'll have a proper b-road weapon on your hands.

If you want to know specifics, let me know and I'll try and remember. It's been a while since I did the swap.

essextom

Post by essextom »

Been thinking and looking into it all, gonna buy a complete g60 and do the swap from there, any more info would be helpful. Was gonna get adaptor plates and use g60 front brakes and 16v rears. Already got coil overs and set of componotives. My mate works at vw and has experience of the older motors do I'll get him to do the wiring bits. Could I get away with using original tank and using an aftermarket in line fuel pump? Will try and get some pics of the scala as is up this weekend.

Anyone with a g60 scirocco around the Essex or Portsmouth area? Id like a look at one up close!

ChrisPears

Post by ChrisPears »

Thinking about it, your fuel lines are probably OK, G60's only have 3/3.5bar fuel pressure as opposed to the crazy high K-Jet pressures.

Tank and pump, I don't know if there's a suitable pump out there that will let you keep the current tank, but I think the early Mk1 (golf) GTi's had a single transfer pump that might work for you. Or have a root around motorsport places catalogues, Demon Tweeks, Merlin etc. Last thing you want is to starve the engine of fuel though, melting valves is never fun.