RED DEAD Revolver- Deceased

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Old Mac Rocco
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: RED DEAD Revolver-On going daily 89 Mk2 GT

Post by Old Mac Rocco »

Don't know where these students get all the money from. :hugegrin: :hugegrin: :hugegrin:
Good to see you are spending it wisely.
May be able to help you on Sunday if it is any use to you, Saturday fully booked.
I'll pm you nearer the weekend.
:bye:

A heart broken GLI - R.I.P. A loveable GT. A practical Polo now deceased.
MacColl

Post by MacColl »

I'm planning on three days at this starting Friday. Going to do a lot of cleaning of parts, bit of de-rusting and painting. Hopefully by Sun I'll be able to start re-fitting stuff like gear linkage, new heater fan. Your welcome to come up and help mate but don't go out of your way. A friend of a Nurse colleague had helped me remove the gearbox last weekend and I'm hoping I'll be putting the box and new clutch back in with him within a fortnight :beg: I'm actually planning on using the same box because it has different electric connector to yours.

I'm wanting to shorten and weight my shifter mechanism. Did you mention you had spare parts? I'm looking at doing this..
http://vagdrivers.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=39188

I'm struggling to write everything down that I need to do, so many jobs I really want to sort as once on the road I need to get my head down and study.

Old Mac Rocco

Post by Old Mac Rocco »

I vaguely remember buying some sort of short shift thing but I have no idea where it is.
I'll have a scout about and see if I can find it.
:bye:

A heart broken GLI - R.I.P. A loveable GT. A practical Polo now deceased.
MacColl

Post by MacColl »

Don't worry, I've actually got a plan to do a custom job having read these links..

Mk1 Golf Owners guide to changing all bushes
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php ... age&pid=44

Missinglinks
http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/ForSale/ ... ShortThrow

CGTI example of short shift
http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76206

Think I understand it quite clearly now :scratch: going to get the welder out :focus:
I see your electrical issues thread is quiet, I'm scared to ask how your going with it? :bye:

MacColl

Post by MacColl »

Firstly a big thanks to OMR :good: for your help Saturday.

Gear linkage off car before cleaning/ new bushes/new selector rods ready to go on
Hot water pipe was removed for some refurbishing
OMR helped me clean the box and change the release bearing
Heater fan split apart and out (OUCH ma Knuckles!)

Now for some trauma :shock:

We reckon that making a clean cut just above the highest rust would allow welding a piece on at a later stage. I can weld and this is something I have total confidence in fixing in the future. The question is when neatly cut and finished would re-fitting the plastic valance over it meet requirements for MOT?
I have very strong number plate tape that I can use to fix it along the lower edge. The plastic valance seems to give it more structure.
I'll post up more soon once I've cut it :focus:
Last edited by MacColl on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MacColl

Post by MacColl »

Heater fan fitted and what fun I had getting it in through the scuttle :ire: separating it before fitting is the key with the windscreen motor removed.
Just need to figure what way the wires go round. I take it I will know because the fan will spin the wrong way?
Linkage parts clean and ready for a bit more custom and prep..

MacColl

Post by MacColl »

Feels like I've been cleaning forever, gone through three aerosols of engine clear on engine and parts just trying to get the car to a point where you can clearly see where leaks are coming from. New clutch and gearbox are close to going on :beg:

Made some custom parts to be painted:two heat guards, cut down and welded part of the linkage for short shift, also a home brew weight for linkage..

Also just about to give a quick coat of paint on some parts (that bracket on the right I made for my catch tank)..

The Autoad

Post by The Autoad »

Going great guns, good stuff.

You will have no issue with the MOT after neatly welding the rear valence, regardless if you refit the kit or not!

Your friendly neighbourhood Scirocco restorer for hire
mattg34

Post by mattg34 »

Hi mate. thats an awsome thread you've got there, love the car. I've done a similar resto to yourself although not in quite the same detail as yet! I had a particulary bad rust issue on mine, the rear valance was in the same state as yours. All the welding and underbody work has been done by Mark H on here who is a bloody legend for sorting out the rust.
Anyway hope the car is doing you proud still, maybe see you at one of the meets?

Cheers Matt

Lifes so much more fun in a rocco!
MacColl

Post by MacColl »

Thanks for comments, My faith is somewhat at it's lowest with the recent rust findings. I thought I was all set and on track to get the gearbox, linkage etc back on at the end of the week but I found some all to common rust that seems to occurs with these arch covers. I've got a 200k Mk2 golf that has little or no rust under the plastics and they are only riveted on. I almost think that the bonded arches don't allow moisture to drain/dry away.

Maybe slipped jack at some point :ire: going by the inward dent on the sill I have already pulled it back out but will be cutting, new wing will be bought in the future..

Cut the rot off the rear valance, might just try fitting rear plastic for Mot until I can sort it later in the year..

So my curiosity got the better of me when I could feel fresh air round the rear offside arch :crying: ..

Two rust holes(same on each side)at the rear inner arches..

Made a plug for the fuel tank so I could replace the filler neck but weld safely the rot :dash: Will buy new tank eventually..

So it's welding time, might just have to give up on this for now and use public transport for Uni. Deadlines are getting closer and it's my final degree year :beg:

sander hoogendijk
Mr. Fixit

Post by sander hoogendijk »

omg... rust didn't leave your car alone..

i love to see projects like this. full dedication to fix it.
keep up the good work, the scirocco won't walk away, finish your final year first. is more important!

need something fixed??
MacColl

Post by MacColl »

Thanks, wise words but getting about rural Ayrshire without a car is a nightmare. Unfortunately this is exactly what I'll have to do for now:crying:

I thought there would be a point where the car would start to come together in terms of tasks already carried out but the final straw started yesterday with finding more rust. Then the steering boot came apart in my hands today and was dually thrown across the workshop in dismay :ire:

So much rust could have been avoided if this car was actually jacked up properly. All four corners of the sill have a certain amount of rot and both the fronts have clearly had some sort of slippage :dash: . There is evidence of a dent and rust holes as a result coming through to the floor of the passenger foot well..

Another hole in the door shut..

Then the final straw for me was this boot all perished because there has been no heat shield on the exhaust. I know it can be replaced (at a price) but it's the sheer amount of tasks now involved, I also have to fit a new rack gaiter and fix the fuel lines out of the way because they had damaged the original..

So the car is now officially a project that I will work away on without the pressure. Might just go to town and get all the plastics off, remove the fuel tank and do the rear beam swap that I had planned.

REDEMPTION WILL BE MINE! eventually :dunno:

Roxylife

Post by Roxylife »

Keep plugging away mate! Will be a tidy motor when you get all these bits done.. Don't lose faith!

Motorsport is my passion.
MacColl

Post by MacColl »

Thanks again for support, I have Uni assignments now fully on my radar :scratch: but I still want to get this car turned round some way. I really want to go all out and get the rear beam and tank off, fully eradicate any other rust or at least structural/serious rust.

Not got near car but received this in the post..

MacColl

Re: RED DEAD Revolver-On going saga 89 Mk2 GT

Post by MacColl »

This is now more of a project. It will be a daily but I want to make sure it is completely solid before getting it on the road again. I am really not impressed with the previous owners lack of any care for the car. He had this car resprayed just over a year ago would you believe with all this rust lurking under there. I'll never forget his broad Sunderland accent saying "It's totally mint man" :ire:

Ended up removing a wing because it was simply too rotten. The other wing might also be for replacing but I could sort it with welding. In all seriousness two wings and a bonnet might well be on the cards.Oh and a indicator lens because I chipped the one on the drivers side :dash:

Was taking the rest of the body kit off and then found myself removing the wing..
Idiot that i am stupidly didn't think I needed to remove the light clusters and chipped the indicator..
The rust on sill and wing, what a mess..
Wing off hey no rust :ok:
The wing, I did consider smashing it up to vent a bit of frustration but I'll need to keep the rub strips in case..
Comical repair you can see on the inside :chortle:
The good wing or not..

and ready for the road, at this stage I figured that I can't call it a daily car :focus:
More parts for refurb..

One more arch plastic to remove (ouch my f***ing hands) and then on to the rear beam removal :zombie: