possible twin carb kr project?

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Rossc86

possible twin carb kr project?

Post by Rossc86 »

ive currently got a standard gt2 as my daily driver but im wanting to give it a bit more va va voom at some point in the future, ive been offered a 1.8 16v engine, i think its a kr. its been rebuilt and ported/polished, and has mounts for a mk1 golf. theres no ecu or wiring or anything but it comes with a mk1 golf rear axle with disc conversion. and someone else i know has a set of weber twin 40's off a 2.0 pinto engine. was thinking i could combine these parts and do a wee engine project till its all good to go and drop it straight in over a long weekend. (i need my car for work during the week)
Does anyone know how hard/costly/worthwhile this would be, and what parts i would need to source/change etc.
thanks in advance

Jay4424
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: possible twin carb kr project?

Post by Jay4424 »

if not, i have a set of Ninja carbs ready to bolt straight on to the 16v/v engine ;)

...time, me and fonzooroo changed an engine in half a day, but it was like for like effectively.

cost? consumables if you already have the motor?

worth whileness... prob a lot of fun plus the "I did it myself" feeling when it all works at the end... or the "Dam it why did i start this ducking thing" when it doesn't :ire: :hehe:

Jay.

'85 Mk2 GT 1.6 carb. 4+E box, loads of goodies (elecy things!)
GT2 trailer (with the Fon-zooroo!!!)
'52 BSA A10
'37 72' wooden narrow boat
'03 Suzuki GSX1400
Rossc86

Post by Rossc86 »

got offered the twin 40s on a pinto manifold for £80, dont have the first idea where to look for a manifold to fit them to the kr engine or how much it would cost. ive got some mechanical knowledge but im no mechanic, changed an engine before but it was on an 82 mini and i had help lol. will this engine drop straight in with the mk1 golf mounts or are the scirocco mounts different. are there any other parts id need to source? heard something about it needing an electric fuel pump or something. does the exhaust need changed? the plan would be to get it all and do all the work on the engine when its out the car then going for a swift swap when its all ready, mk1 golf back axle the same as scirocco isnt it?

thanks for the help

Jay4424

Post by Jay4424 »

why not put the golf stub axils on the rocco main axil?

the exhaust is different.
the inlet manifold you will have to fabricate your self.
electric fuel pump? only if you were to run it on the injections system its designed for, if your using carbs you shouldn't.. but I'm not expert!

'85 Mk2 GT 1.6 carb. 4+E box, loads of goodies (elecy things!)
GT2 trailer (with the Fon-zooroo!!!)
'52 BSA A10
'37 72' wooden narrow boat
'03 Suzuki GSX1400
haddock_n_chips
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by haddock_n_chips »

twin weber inlet manifolds are avialable off the shelf so to speak

try http://www.dellorto.com/merchandise/pro ... ctionID=46

but best idea to look out for a second hand one :)

Bonusrocco

Post by Bonusrocco »

http://www.webcon.co.uk/

I had a manifold from here I think £150ish. you will want a facet race fuel pump, its not expensive. you can probably get that from a motorsport stockists.

My mk1 golf had to have a stainless mainifold you can use dubpower by storm developments or an ashley or there are others about £300 - but as you have a mk2 rocco the bulkhead shape may be different so you may be able to use a standard cast manifold someone might confirm this?

You wanna consider driveablity from carbs, yeah they sound awesome and are 'simple' but you'll get through alot of fuel, and they wont always start well and cold/warm wether effects, so as a daily...?

My current 16v is going to run injection

So many plans, so little time
Rossc86

Post by Rossc86 »

does anyone know if theres a build thread floating about where someone has done this? see plenty folk sayin they've done it but cant find a relevant thread or guide. i think i wanna go down the twin carb route, gonna look and sound much better than inj and keeps it oldschool :vcool: . looks like a manifold gonna cost as much as the engine and carbs put together tho, but tht shouldnt b an issue as the engine wouldnt be going in till after winter prob so time to save up the pennies, still got coilovers, decent wheels and better brakes to get before i consider putting a different lump in. but got offered the kr engine for a good price with some sellable goodies so im gonna take it.

Roxylife

Post by Roxylife »

haddock_n_chips wrote:twin weber inlet manifolds are avialable off the shelf so to speak

try http://www.dellorto.com/merchandise/pro ... ctionID=46

but best idea to look out for a second hand one :)
These manifolds are TERRIBLE. :dash:

They are a aweful fit, and hae the worst flow and design ive ever seen.

I made the mistake of buying one for my last scirocco that had a 9a fitted. I threw it away instead of selling it, as not to give someone else the misfortune of trying to use such a crock of s***.

Motorsport is my passion.
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

I’d expect it will cost you the best part of £800 (maybe more) to do the conversion. Any less and you’d be kidding yourself in all honesty. Both the manifolds, and then setting the carbs up once installed will cost around 500quid. Then you’ve still got to buy the engine, carbs and all other bits you are missing. Its not hard to do as such, its just sourcing all the parts. Like all the linkages, gaskets, rubbers, filters etc for the carbs..

What are you exactly getting with the engine/carbs? i.e does the engine come complete and including all ancilaries?

1991 Wide Arched Rieger Scirocco.....

Good things come to those who wait!!!!
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

I’d expect it will cost you the best part of £800 (maybe more) to do the conversion. Any less and you’d be kidding yourself in all honesty. Both the manifolds, and then setting the carbs up once installed will cost around 500quid. Then you’ve still got to buy the engine, carbs and all other bits you are missing. Its not hard to do as such, its just sourcing all the parts. Like all the linkages, gaskets, rubbers, filters etc for the carbs..

What are you exactly getting with the engine/carbs? i.e does the engine come complete and including all ancilaries?

1991 Wide Arched Rieger Scirocco.....

Good things come to those who wait!!!!