Which one?

General discussion focusing mainly on the cars and the Scirocco Register - other stuff within reason.
Forum rules
This is a GENERAL discussion area - we have set up specific areas for eg technical queries, model specific issues etc etc to help you get the right answer quicker.

Which one is a Scirocco? In other words, which one epitomises the car to you!

Mk1
36%
Mk2
64%
Mk3
No votes

Total votes: 33

DougWomble
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Which one?

Post by DougWomble »

Just to agree with Dutch GT, the MKII is square in the right bits, but curvy where it matters.

Purely going on looks alone, and not on handling / ride etc...:

Ever since I first saw one (my cool form teacher at school had one), with the horizontal lines of bumpers/lights at the front and the back, I was hooked. To me, the MKI looks dated and plain, whereas the MKII looks like a more coherent 'whole'. (Feel free to disagree!) The headlamps, rear spoiler, and overall bodywork are its greatest assets, in making it look like a sexy beast, and one that still gets compliments today (from an estate agent showing me round a house).

The Mk3 on the other hand, while mean from the front, has a big fat ass. In the dark, on a busy road, I can't tell if it's an Audi or a Toyota. When I heard VW were going to be producing it, I was *so* looking forward to it, and I was *so* let down. Fingers crossed the Mk4 looks a bit better!!

Oh dear, it looks like I've gone off on one... :bye:

1989 Bog standard MkII GT - and it makes me very happy!
DT1

Post by DT1 »

Have to say I prefer the Mk2. Doesn't mean that I don't like the Mk1, or Mk3 for that matter.

fonzooorooo

Post by fonzooorooo »

Epitome... That's the word that stands out to me... I may be wrong, but I reckon the mk2 has stuck in people's head... For Joe Public, it feels like the mk1 faded into 70s obscurity, and if presented with one, would they remember it?
The mk2 they definately remember - The looks and comments the owners all get... I never feel I need to explain "my red scirocco's parked outside" when someone's looking for my house or workshop, but If it were a mk1 or even a mk3, I think I might.

16v_coupe

Post by 16v_coupe »

The mk2 is the one I picked, have waited one since early 1981, when I saw a Green 81 GTI at a dealership in Southern Germany 8-)

I have driven the mk1 and I am currently to buy one, but first choice is the mk2 :vcool:

88 Scirocco 16v, 1.8 litre PL, L90E
87 Scirocco 16v, 2.0 litre 16v 9A, LY3D
82 Scirocco S2, 2.0 litre 16v 9A, LK5Y
81 Scirocco S1, 1.6 litre 16v EW/PL, LA3V
80 Scirocco Storm, 1.6 EG, L98F, GTG 951W (sold, in PA)

:pilot:
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

1 - any injection flava :chill:

Octavia elegance kombi TDI
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

Oooh difficult, but it would have to be the Mk1.

Anyway, glad I have all 3 Mks (for me the Mk3 is still officially the Rado, as it too came from Karmann), although none are new, of course :hehe:

Tempest

My Mk1 Rocco, Rado and 928
Corrado Club of GB Events Manager
thebrief_1979

Post by thebrief_1979 »

Has to be a mk2 for me - it just epitomises's the 80's. Don't get me wrong I would love a mk1 also but a new mk2 gti yes please

1993 MK2 Flash Red GT2 - sold
Mk1 gls - nearly