Camber problem

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Austin
fill in the right answer: 10

Camber problem

Post by Austin »

Although not strictly a wheel/tyres question does anyone have a picture of how the camber bolt is inserted in their suspension?

I've now gone through two front left tyres as the outedge has worn down significantly, and I'm not buying any more rubber, the lastest tyre has only done 2k!

Four Sciroccos, four gone, but at least I know all parts from most current one went to good homes....
steve

Re: Camber problem

Post by steve »

I just used a big set square and trial and errored mine.

Park it on a flat yard. Put the square up against the face of the wheel, see how far it's out, then whip the wheel off, mark where the camber was, undo the camber bolt, adjust, stick it back together and try again.

If you're still not sure, take iot to a tyre place that does a free check and they'll tell you exactly how far out it is.

"I'd get it one peice at a time and it wouldn't cost me a dime
You'll know it's me when I come through your town"
Nate

Post by Nate »

Austin wrote:I've now gone through two front left tyres as the outedge has worn down significantly
the most common cause of a tyre wearing on the outside edge would be too much toe in.

however, if you're wanting to have a crack at adjusting your camber correctly: http://www.bennetts.com/steering-suspen ... 658694.php

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
Austin

Post by Austin »

Nate wrote:
Austin wrote:I've now gone through two front left tyres as the outedge has worn down significantly
the most common cause of a tyre wearing on the outside edge would be too much toe in.

however, if you're wanting to have a crack at adjusting your camber correctly: http://www.bennetts.com/steering-suspen ... 658694.php
Hi thanks, but linky is incomplete!

Four Sciroccos, four gone, but at least I know all parts from most current one went to good homes....
Old Mac Rocco

Post by Old Mac Rocco »

Think this may be the link that Nate was looking for (slip of the mouse somewhere).
http://www.bennetts.com/steering-suspen ... 658694.php
Worth a look if you want to do the job yourself.

A heart broken GLI - R.I.P. A loveable GT. A practical Polo now deceased.
steve

Post by steve »

I've never figured out how they work, if you've got the wheel off, the suspension must be unloaded, so how's that a fair reading?

"I'd get it one peice at a time and it wouldn't cost me a dime
You'll know it's me when I come through your town"
Village Idiots

Post by Village Idiots »

Load the suspension with a jack under the ball joint.

Nate

Post by Nate »

no idea what happened to that link i posted, but yes that's the page i meant. no idea how to use them, as i never have, but i imagine they'd come with distructions

Jay4424

Post by Jay4424 »

Best thing is go to a proper tire place that sets up tracking properly!

...should have 0.5 degrees toe out and 0.5 degree positive caster (tops in) as far as I know.

'85 Mk2 GT 1.6 carb. 4+E box, loads of goodies (elecy things!)
GT2 trailer (with the Fon-zooroo!!!)
'52 BSA A10
'37 72' wooden narrow boat
'03 Suzuki GSX1400
Nate

Post by Nate »

Jay4424 wrote:B 0.5 degree positive caster (tops in)
did you mean caster? +ve caster would be "tops back" (wheel in front of the pivot axis) and +ve camber is "tops in"

Jay4424

Post by Jay4424 »

Nate wrote:
Jay4424 wrote:B 0.5 degree positive caster (tops in)
did you mean caster? +ve caster would be "tops back" (wheel in front of the pivot axis) and +ve camber is "tops in"

yeah summit like that :chortle:
:blush:

cheers :buddy:

'85 Mk2 GT 1.6 carb. 4+E box, loads of goodies (elecy things!)
GT2 trailer (with the Fon-zooroo!!!)
'52 BSA A10
'37 72' wooden narrow boat
'03 Suzuki GSX1400
PeteGLi

Post by PeteGLi »

Austin wrote:Although not strictly a wheel/tyres question does anyone have a picture of how the camber bolt is inserted in their suspension?
Do you mean a picture of how the eccentric bolt and washer looks when it is inserted through the strut?
steve wrote:I've never figured out how they work, if you've got the wheel off, the suspension must be unloaded, so how's that a fair reading?
I would imagine you use it to measure the angle/position of the wheel, before you disturb any of the strut mounting/fixing bolts, so you can put a strut back in the same position as before you took it off.

fonzooorooo

Post by fonzooorooo »

The magnetic camber gauge is very good, but a pain to use - you really need to measure the hub centre and ride height, then replicate both with the wheel off (I jacked under the outside edge of the hub) Jacking under the balljoint (or suspension arm) gives the suspension more leverage, so increases the ride height, so any measurement taken will be wrong. The other trick would be to either use spokey wheels, or bore a big hole in an old steelie so you can stick the gauge on through the wheel. Just a thought.

Beddo88

Post by Beddo88 »

Are you running standard suspension? Mines not (lowered) and it throws out everything.

Much tinkering later, and its still out, but not as much! As these chaps have said, its well worth getting it setup properly.

Not trying to hi-jack but... my cambers as far out adjusted as it can be, and my tyre is only about 10mm from my coilies... is there any method of adjusting it further without getting wheel spacers etc? not too keen on them.

Nate

Post by Nate »

Beddo88 wrote: my cambers as far out adjusted as it can be, and my tyre is only about 10mm from my coilies... is there any method of adjusting it further without getting wheel spacers etc? not too keen on them.
10mm should be plenty of clearance, i'd have thought. are you having problems with it fouling?