Car died completely

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
sciroccodave

Car died completely

Post by sciroccodave »

Need some help, the car died completely after being totally fine the other day. It turns over but does not fire at all.
The things I have done so far. Changed coil, checked spark plugs, cleaned, brushed, all good. Each plug has a good spark, as do the distributor leads, and dizzy cap. The plugs come out wet. I have changed the rubber flange on the carb gasket as it was leaking, and done the base gasket on the carb. None of this has made any differnce. It's baffling because it has spark and fuel but still gives nothing. It's a 1.8 scala on a webber, any help much appreciated. Thanks

Dave

andyneedham2
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Car died completely

Post by andyneedham2 »

Very strange. Have you any way of checking the timing, not put the leads back on in the wrong order?

Andy

fonzooorooo

Post by fonzooorooo »

Checking the obvious: Flooding?

Weber needles seem to cause issues. Not normally this seriously though...

DannyH

Post by DannyH »

Seem to remember webers can freeze if you didn't keep the right bits from the 2e2 :yup:

but please remember i ain't one of the technical chappies :dunno:

Danny
Old Mac Rocco

Post by Old Mac Rocco »

Here is a check list for you to work through.
Was the car running ok when you drove it last ?
Was the cas missfiring ?
Did this only start when you tried to restart the car ?
I'm hedging my bets on a loose earth wire as you appear to be getting petrol ( in abundance ) OR
Very strange. Have you any way of checking the timing, not put the leads back on in the wrong order?
Good Luck.

A heart broken GLI - R.I.P. A loveable GT. A practical Polo now deceased.
sciroccodave

Post by sciroccodave »

It was running perfectly, I was driving home on the motorway, steady 70, it would suddenly cut out, and then only cut back in when I applied full throttle, it did this intermittently for about 10 minutes. I pullled over, had a good jiggle under the engine bay, and then it was fine the rest of the way home. When I went to start it a few days later the battery was flat, so I charged it and it ran for about 10 minutes before dying and not been able to start since. It is extremely strange! I have checked the earth straps, it's just so odd that it has spark and fuel but gives nothing. The leads are in the right order. Then only breakthrough I had yesterday was when I refitted the carb and new bits, I tried starting again, and noticed when I had one of the plugs removed, and it was firing on the other 3 cylinders, it actually did fire every so often. I then tested this with each plug and got the same result, occasional firing with one plug removed?! Even stragner! I'm at a complete dead end now, any more ideas? Battery? Thanks for all the replies.

Dave

sciroccodave

Post by sciroccodave »

Is there any way the timing can have adjusted itself? Again this seems strange because it was running fine, and then just stopped... All fingers are pointing at something electrical, but spark and fuel should give something at least?

plastermaster

Post by plastermaster »

Check distributor and make sure its not loose.If the clamp at the bottom has come loose it may have turned so timing
may be way out in which case it wont start.

1984 Cosmos Blue Storm
Old Mac Rocco

Post by Old Mac Rocco »

After reading your update on the lead up to your problem it would point to an intermittent problem that has turned into a permanent one.
Even if you are getting a spark ARE you getting it at the right time?????
Has the Dizzy moved ???? Put your hand on the top of the dizzy, apply light pressure and see if it turns any way.
The plugs would still fire up even with one removed I THINK (maybe someone else could verify this)
Have you a spare coil you can swop over? ( I had one that developed a habit of working then going on holiday for a while - VERY CONFUSING ).
Why was your battery flat, is it being charged or is your alternator faulty - ignition light on ?????

A heart broken GLI - R.I.P. A loveable GT. A practical Polo now deceased.
hiltow

Post by hiltow »

From what you've descibed I would focus on your alternator and distributor. I say alternator because you say that after charging your battery, the engine runs and later dies which would be symptomatic of the battery being drained. Does your dashboard warning light come on?

Based on my own experience, the smart money has to be on your distributor being faulty (vac advance, hall sender, internal weights, wear in the shaft).

Try loosening the dizzy and turn it slightly whilst an assistant tries to start the car - does it tickle the engine into life? If not, then £40 gets you one of those cheap copy dizzys at GSF - you'll then be able to have a fresh start with a new dizzy. You've eliminated all of the other likely culprits - for the sake of only £40, there's nothing lost if it turned out not to be the dizzy.

Beware though: these copy dizzys deliver slightly below par performance compared with the Bosch units if you intend keeping it fitted to the car.

sciroccodave

Post by sciroccodave »

Thanks again guys. I have changed the coil already so it's definitely not that. The spark from the coil is very strong compared to the spark at the plugs but I guess this is normal? The distributor has definitely not moved, and it doesn't tie in with it having gone from being a very intermittent problem to a definite one! I do still suspect the dizzy though, I will see if I can borrow one of another dub and give that a go before I buy one, I'd rather just spend £150 on a bosch one if I have to, rather than end up with a gsf one as well. Times being a bit tight at the moment and all. I dont really suspect the battery anymore. Just narrowed it down to the dizzy and maybe the ht leads breaking up inside. I will have another play today and keep updated! Thanks again

Dave

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

Where are ypu based, maybe there is someone off here that is close?

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
sciroccodave

Post by sciroccodave »

Cranleigh, just south of guildford in Surrey, that would be awsome if someone could come and give a second opinion!

Dave

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

lenny125 (Glenn) lives near you mate, he is a mechanic by trade, and a good one, you could ask him.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
Jay4424

Post by Jay4424 »

i had similar last year on the golf... hall sender

trouble is you have to replace the entire distributer.

mine how ever didn't start up again under full throttel. it jsut died, then after an undetermind amount of time (30min to 3 hours) it may start again and last for anything from 5 mins to 2 weeks before doign it again!

hope this helps.

'85 Mk2 GT 1.6 carb. 4+E box, loads of goodies (elecy things!)
GT2 trailer (with the Fon-zooroo!!!)
'52 BSA A10
'37 72' wooden narrow boat
'03 Suzuki GSX1400