car cover

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
gayle
fill in the right answer: 10

car cover

Post by gayle »

can anyone recommend a good but cheapish car cover please?cant find the water leak on my mk2 and am getting bored of paddling when i drive.i know i can get a cheap one off ebay but most of them seem to be weatherproof as opposed to waterproof which is no use.oh,and as i live in a wind tunnel,it has to have straps or at least eyelets for bungee cords.
thanks
gayle x

boycott shampoo.demand real poo.
ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: car cover

Post by ianaudia4 »

Hi Gayle, have alook for a breathable cover and waterproof cover. You could try Euro Car Parts or GSF.
Where is the water in your car? There is a FAQ on here for leaks that may be worth a look.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
gayle

Post by gayle »

hi ian,thanks for replying.the water is on the drivers side floor,front and back.ive removed the underlay on the front cos it was sodden and used my trusty vax to get rid of some of the water.im tempted to drill a hole or 2 in the floor like i did on my beetle to let it drain but thats a last resort.it doesnt appear to be coming from my tailights or boot seals and the underlay around the footwell and inner wheel arch at the front is mostly dry.i need the car out of the garage to get the bug back in before winter but i dont want to do it without a cover

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

I had the same problem with my Scala,it turned out to be water coming in from the bulkhead repair weld, the water was coming in from where the clutch cable comes through and running into the rear passenger footwell, I sorted it but it took a while to locate the leak!
What I did was removed the drivers seat, lift the carpets on the drivers side and removed the shelf and trim from under the dash, then got my dad to pour a load of water over the scuttle area whilst I was in the car watching. Once I knew where it was coming in I replaced the repair plate and sealed up with silicone, I have had no problems since.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
bluestreak56

Post by bluestreak56 »

I bought the Halfords all seasons breathable car cover for my bmw (most expensive one they sell about £55 as its x-large) from ebay (new) for the bargain price of £15.50.

Worth a look.

fonzooorooo

Post by fonzooorooo »

Another thought about the leak itself: one of the leaks on mine was the rear windows. (took rear door card off and saw the water trickling down behind where hte card was, in in only light rain...) the glass is now tigersealed to the seal, and the seal tigersealed to the body. That sorted it! I've just done the same trick to the rear screen and the spoiler in an attempt to fix the leak in the boot.

Or does yours have a sunroof?

Calvert

Post by Calvert »

Ive just got one from Argos, was £20.

Its basicly just a sheet with a soft inner to it, its just to stop dust collecting to be honest.

The car is kept indoor, not sure how it would be outdoors.

bluestreak56

Post by bluestreak56 »

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165611

I stand corrected £65 at Halfords.. its very good though - nothing gets underneath it.

gayle

Post by gayle »

thanks for the replies people.i dont have a sunroof so that rules that one out.just moved house so havent has the time to gut the car properly although i did have the seat and the dash tray and carpets out at the weekend to mop up the water.i now officially hate volkswagens carpet glue.ill take it apart again once ive unpacked a few more boxes (other half just doesnt understand that my car is more important than the house) and have a look.it hasnt stopped raining here for 2 weeks so i dont need a friend with a hose!
oh and whats tiger seal?

fonzooorooo

Post by fonzooorooo »

tiger seal: mastic tube product which is an adhesive sealant. Usual to use it to fasten bodykits on etc. A better bet than using silicone for leak fixing, i've found.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TIGER-SEAL-PU-ADH ... 414fc22568

gayle

Post by gayle »

ah.i was hoping for some sort of interesting marine mammal to block up holes.im a little dissapointed... :crying:

gayle

Post by gayle »

sorry to ressurect an old post people.so i still havent sealed my windows.spoke to a couple of people about tiger seal and been told its more like seam sealer than a window seal.and that the windows would never come out again if i used it.so im still on the hunt for sealant.but ive only had the car for 2 years so i dont want to rush these things....

bought a maypole car cover for around £35.100% waterproof my arse.car was wetter underneath it than it would have been without it.so a snotty email has been sent.is there another one that anyone knows of thats actually waterproof?or do i have to sell the cat to get the money for the halfords one???