Fitting KR Cams onto a 9A engine

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Akinesis

Fitting KR Cams onto a 9A engine

Post by Akinesis »

I've heard that fitting KR camshafts into a 9A engine will bring bhp up from 135 to 150, so this has got to be worth doing :hugegrin: I've fitted a DX cam into an EX engine myself, which proved to be quite easy to do - but this was to my track 'Rocco so it didn't matter how long it took. This will be on my daily runner, so I can't really afford to risk starting a job that might take days to finish. Is it easy enough to do?

Many thanks, all!

GTII Track Project... now a different animal for 2009
Birdy
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Fitting KR Cams onto a 9A engine

Post by Birdy »

16v cams arent too bad to change - can be done in an hour or so :vcool:

tho i wouldnt expect a 20bhp increase....

VW Scirocco 16V GTX, Kamei X1 and a half
Akinesis

Post by Akinesis »

Well, I'd settle for 15 bhp :yup: I heard that if you take it to 'Stealth Tuning' (I think?) they can set up your car and adjust the warm-up regulator and get as much as 166 bhp out of a KR engine. Is this true to the 9A, too?

Cool about the cams, will look into it then. Anyone got any spare KR camshafts?? :hugegrin:

monzajake
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by monzajake »

Just bung the inlet one in (think i got that right ) as the exhaust one's are 99% the same so no gain tbh.
Increase isnt massive dude, but the revs pick up quicker as the kr cam has a higher lift than the 9a.
Also worth noting that if you ever change the engine to the abf the cam profiles are the same as the kr.

Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Akinesis wrote:I heard that if you take it to 'Stealth Tuning' (I think?) they can set up your car and adjust the warm-up regulator and get as much as 166 bhp out of a KR engine.
I think this is highly dependant on the state of your engine and other mod's you've done. No way can you get an extra 30bhp just from tweeking the WUR. otherwise there'd be so many how to guide on this we'd all have 160bhp KRs.
Plus on alot of other threads I have read, Stealth Tunings RR gives 'nice' figures out..

1991 Wide Arched Rieger Scirocco.....

Good things come to those who wait!!!!
Akinesis

Post by Akinesis »

Damn! It would have been nice to get an extra 30bhp from a few small tweeks :hehe:

Ok, how about swapping the 9A head for a KR head. I've heard of people doing this. Is it better than just swapping the cams?

johnnyfication

Post by johnnyfication »

No point in changing the head, the differences are small so no advantage either way.

'93 Corrado 2.0 16v - Gone
'95 Corrado 2.9 VR6 Storm
'09 Scirocco GT 2.0tsi - Gone
'12 Polo Bluemotion - Gone
'10 BMW 320D touring M sport