What is an honest price for mk1 doors

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1974-1981 - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
dubs
fill in the right answer: 10

What is an honest price for mk1 doors

Post by dubs »

i am going to see doors for my mk1 storm and the passenger one has been repaired and the drivers side needs a repair are they worth £150 the pair for them?? i could alway repair mine but should i buy em for spare? please help :vcool:
Last edited by dubs on Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1980 scirocco storm green
1980 scirocco Gli green
1982 Golf Gti white
GTXTRA

Re: What is an honest price for mk1 doors

Post by GTXTRA »

seems expensive to me but moving to the mk1 area for the mk1 gurus to come back to you on.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
SCIROCCOSILBERFEDER

Post by SCIROCCOSILBERFEDER »

Evening!

MK 1 doors (and any other panel mk 1) and the joys of pricing them.

Well, technically, no-one knows what is under any panel covered in paint so you could say there worth the risk at £50 each.

If you are convinvced they are straight and there is nothing nasty lurking under the paint then it just depends i guess on how good the lower panels are and the lower edge. so more like £100 each.

Suppose someone else has taken the time to strip off all the paint, repair them, Etch primer them then offset this cost in the first instance there labour cost / time and make a reasonable offer and in the second instance, the fact that you and or the bodyshoppe doesnt have to spend the time stripping / prpeeing the doors.

So, even though the initial cost may seem higher £150+ for a door in this condition, that is beacuse someone else has sorted it for you and you dont have to (maybe saving time and money) but maybe more importantly the bodyshoppe doesnt have top (saving lots of time and lots of money). Also with pre -prepped doors you are working from bare metal up (and KNOW what your working with) and not relying on a decent key from what at least 20+ year old primer / colour coat etc etc

Why else do us people that "restore" old cars try and do everything ourselves? To save money at the bodyshoppe!

Consider also, that unless they are bare shell doors then you are getting more than "a door " for your money.

If you think they are worth having as spares then yes, purchase them!

At the end of the day it really is about preparation, ive seen so called "fully" restored cars with half decent resparys come and go and then i have seen the result of a complete bare metal strip down, restoration and respray, and really, there is a difference. Im hoping the age and time of "the underseal will hide that" has gone but maybe i live in too much hope.

Kind regards

Alexander

dubs

Post by dubs »

thanks for your help, i bought them today for £50 eachfully loaded wi door cards,mirrors etc and got a load of other stuff included tailgate,bonnet full lock set with 1 key lights grill etc for a further £50 so it was worth the trip. :vcool:

1980 scirocco storm green
1980 scirocco Gli green
1982 Golf Gti white
RoccoGuy

Post by RoccoGuy »

sounds like you got a bargain mate :vcool:

stormin

Post by stormin »

About five years ago, a friend of mine told me there was a Scirocco breaking at a local breakers and thought it was a MK1. Curiosity finally got the better of me as I was sure I would find a Mk2, but a Mk1 it was. It was is awful condition and had suffered an engine and interior fire, but the doors looked great. I removed 'em, got to the front office and asked how much. The guy said, 'oooooh, the old Mk1's are getting rare now!!' As I braced myself he said, '£20 the pair?' Never got £20 out of my pocket so quickly, and stripped them to find no filler or rust at all! Very lucky!

These cars are getting so rare, any part is worth every penny that you are willing to pay for it in my opinion

My girlfriend thinks Scirocco's only came in brown!!