Electric Sunroof Conversion

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Birdy
fill in the right answer: 10

Electric Sunroof Conversion

Post by Birdy »

Taken this from the old forums before it becomes lost in the recycle bin :yahoo:

I took it upon myself to carry out this conversion as i'd only seen it done twice (so does that make my car only the 3rd in the world with an electric sunroof?? :dunno: )

Thought ' would put together a quick summary of how to do it :D

First things first is to remove the factory winder mechanism (only a few screws) and you'll be left with this

you'll need to clean all the foam off and cut away most of the material that’s there as its in the motor's way :roll:

I erm, 'borrowed' this pic (courtesy of one 'skyroceteer') and used it as a rough guide to figure how much material had to be removed

with this marked out I began to remove it, I probably should of used a dremel type jobby with cutting discs but I don’t have one so opted to drill a series of holes next to each other to enable me to cut the metal away! This way is awkward and you run the risk of going too far with the drill bit and marking the outer skin of the roof :evil:

I ended up taking more out that I needed to and was left with this

only caught the roof a few times :shock:

Anyway, the motor can be fit into place now

notice the extra metal 'clip' I put in? (top of the pic) This is to help hold the cover panel in place at the end of the job!

Speaking of which, now the motor was sitting nicely in place I could turn my attention to getting the panel ready. The way it fits to the audi is completely different to the scirocco so all of the clips on the rear had to be removed (I just cut them off with a hacksaw!) and new clips need to be added

The first pic shows a 'T' type bracket that I made out of steel, bent over the original mounting bracket and fixed in place with self tapping screws. This slots into the cars original interior light slot.

The second pic sort of shows the other bracket, this is simply a 'L' type bracket that I riveted into place - this slots over the extra bracket that I fixed into place with the motor :)

With the new mounting brackets in place I could re-cover the panel as the material was filthy!

off it came.....

and on went the new cloth (this is the same material as I used on the sunroof panel, so they match and doesn't stand out too much from the roof lining!)

While I had the glue out I took the chance to re-attach the roof lining

and while that was all drying I got onto the wiring :roll:

all of the original wiring needed to be lengthened so it would fit the audi light properly and I had to run a separate (fused) live up the 'A' pillar for the motor, and also drill an extra hole near the motor to earth the relay properly

The light is all wired up and working properly :)

All that was left to do was remove all the clips, put the sunroof seal back into place, attach all the wiring to the light and motor and fit the panel!!

I also had to trim the sun visors down as they were catching on the cover panel - I only did this as a temporary solution until I can find some smaller visors in a scrap yard :)

Job done 8)

VW Scirocco 16V GTX, Kamei X1 and a half
The Autoad

Re: Electric Sunroof Conversion

Post by The Autoad »

nice one Mr. Bird :good:

with your blessing this one is going in the FAQ....

Your friendly neighbourhood Scirocco restorer for hire
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

The Autoad wrote:nice one Mr. Bird :good:

with your blessing this one is going in the FAQ....

Of course it can be put in the FAQ :groove:

SciroccoGTS
Location: 3 Bayleys Hatch, South Heath, Great Missenden, Bucks, HP16 9QG

Post by SciroccoGTS »

Hi,

Has any on the forum fitted a standard sun roof to a rocco that has no sun roof and may want one fitted and I’m not on about aftermarket jobbies I had one of those in my old GTS and it forever leaked.

I have always wanted a sun roof fitted but I’m a little scared of the repercussions.

Thanks

Phil

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

I remember in the old thread, the part number and guidance for the "correct" sunroof motor was included. Anyone off the top of their head remember which motor is required to do this conversion?

Thanks

Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Yeah, the motor i used is an Audi part - 893 877 795

This is found on the Audi 80/90 from '87 - '89

If you need any more info just ask :good:

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

Sweet, thanks Birdy :)

Edit -

Link to VAGCAT search for the part itself and the exploded diagram

Now just to find one, although I DID pick up a near mint cover for £15 off fleabay US :P

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

There's afew of these motors on EBay.de... just picked one up for €30 including postage :groove: :dance: :buddy:

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

Skyrocketeer wrote:Barely had the shell returned from the painters I felt an itch to start fitting stuff to it. Unfortunately, nothing was ready to be fitted :(

scrabbling around the pile of bits, I did find something though - the sunroof:

yeah!

Hmm, this looks a bit antiquated.

Can't be doing with this winding handles lark. What I need is an electric sunroof.

Some research on CGTi forums turfed up a sunroof motor and mechanism from an early Audi 80 which has the same fixing spacing, and same drive gear. Thats the hard bit done:

Now to make it fit..

It takes some nerve to take a dremel to a freshly painted, and now pretty much mint shell, but something had to go to make space:

Not much really:

Looks worse than it is:
I figured the stiffening was there to counteract the force of a 15stone bloke swinging off the handle - a small motor should be a bit more subtle.

It fits:

Yeah.

Now back to that knotty problem called wiring....

hmm..

p.s. sorry about the quality of the pics on this, the camera was dying.

Copied over from Rocketeers rebuild thread :) Excellent piccies in there mate!! :good:

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

DT1

Post by DT1 »

Sorry for digging this up, but would the motor from a Golf or Vento do instead of the Audi?

A local scrapyard has 2 of them.

Edit: Looks like these just do the slide, no tilt.

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

Yeah, Goof's of that era only did slide that I'm aware of.

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

The MK3 Golf had a slide and tilt electric sunroof, mine was a 95 m plate GTi and that did, it was a glass roof though. The MK2 Golf was just a slide and manual.
I have a nearly new MK3 Golf sunroof switch and cover plate that fits over the motor if anyone is interested.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

yeah, sorry for confusion... I keep forgetting the Mk3 was around in the early 90's. I more meant the Mk1 and Mk2 (as in the same floorpan and it's successor)... damn the rocco was/is a good car... kept going right the way through 3 Mk's of Golf on the same floorpan :hugegrin: