1.6 gt to 1.8 16v

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
johnypud

1.6 gt to 1.8 16v

Post by johnypud »

just bought a corrado i am using bits off for my other and has the 1.8 16v kr engine in

is the swap easy enough into my mk 2 ??

will have all the bits from corrado so should be no problem, just wondering if anyone any tips or hints as are always usefull on a conversion

thanks

Tim_R
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: 1.6 gt to 1.8 16v

Post by Tim_R »

How are you planning on doing the fueling for the 16v? Are you going to use the Corrado K jet system or go for carbs/throttle bodies? If you are planning on using K jet then you'll need scirocco injection in tank pump, swirl pot, high pressure pump and accumulator and the larger diameter lines under the car. Corrado pumps don't fit.

I think sourcing all the parts I needed when doing this myself was the most difficult part.

Engine drops straight in once you swap over the cambelt mount from the 8v, but you'll need a new exhaust manifold, something like a super sprint or ashley 4 branch. ( I used a raceland one and it didn't line up on head studs at all without lots of modding)

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
johnypud

Post by johnypud »

yes will be using standard fueling from corrado, was hoping i could just use a external fuel pump run inline?

thanks for info

Boumsong
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Boumsong »

I converted from a 1.6 GT to a KR and I'm just using a bosch pump inline, works well. Should be no trouble at all if you have a complete donor car, just get on with it!! :P

2k Painter and Powdercoater