Drain holes and windscreen seal

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
rosie
fill in the right answer: 10

Drain holes and windscreen seal

Post by rosie »

My GTII is full of water on the passenger side. Thought it was residual water from when the sunroof was leaking in the summer at first but have now discovered, after dismantling most of the front of the car, that it's coming through the bottom of the windscreen. As a result the fusebox is very wet (that could explain the temperamental electric windows and smoke).
It looks as if it's the bottom corner of the windscreen seal that isn't watertight. Can I use a silicone sealant to mend it? Any recommendations please?
Also, whereabouts are all the drain holes please, I want to check they're not blocked. The Haynes manual diagram is useless (surprise).
Thanks

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
Running it into the ground
GTXTRA

Re: Drain holes and windscreen seal

Post by GTXTRA »

hi, drain holes = in the outer corner of the scuttle area adjacent to inner wing - basically open bonnet and look in each of the corners towards rear of wing - near aerial on nearside.
if the sunroof is a factory steel roof you should see some hoses feeding into the drain holes in any case. these can become corroded or detached inside pillar/screen frame. test by spraying water/wd40 down drain hols visible when sunroof open. if all is clear you will have a small puddle underneath car almost instantly.

ALSO check the grommets in the bulkhead behind glovebox - visible when plastic drip tray removed.

check
http://sciroccoregisterforum.co.uk/faq/2009/03/12/test/ too

Serial Rocco-ist.........
dozzum

Post by dozzum »

i suspected my windscreen was leaking and used some clear sealant just to be safe. Doesnt do any harm as long as you do it tidy.

IF you lick your finger then you can smooth it over nicely but you do get a funny taste of sealant in your mouth.

rosie

Post by rosie »

I've gaffertaped the offending corner of the windscreen as an emengency measure and it now seems watertight- checked for other leaks around the grommets and bonnet cable etc and they all seem ok, so now i just need to seal the windscreen. Wish it would stop raining occasionally so I could fix stuff properly though! I hadn't considered clear sealant, I was just going to bodge it with bathroom sealant. Thank god for the forum- otherwise who knows what the car would end up looking like.
Thanks very much

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

If your windscreen seal is leaking, the only proper way to fix it is get the screen out and replace the seal. I don't know how much this costs, but I'd have thought that getting the job done properly once would be worth the investment.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
rosie

Post by rosie »

I completely agree with you- but I've just spent a fortune getting it through an MOT, and there are so many things wrong with it I don't know what to fix first, or where to spend my next car budget money. At the moment it's all about damage limitation. I just need to get it watertight for now so that I can dry out the electrics etc.
Good advice though- if a jobs worth doing...

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
Nate

Post by Nate »

GTXTRA wrote:test by spraying water/wd40 down drain holes
wouldn't recommend using wd40. it rots rubber!

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3