Uh.. seatbelts and mot's..

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Thainoodle
fill in the right answer: 10

Uh.. seatbelts and mot's..

Post by Thainoodle »

I've booked the gtx in for an mot on thursday, and while putting it back together (was stripped out when i got it) it turns out the rear belts are shot thanks to the previous owner cutting them out! Now I'm looking for a new set but am I right in thinking that if I remove the rear seats, will it pass the mot without the belts fitted?

Cheers!
Paul

Mr Funk

Re: Uh.. seatbelts and mot's..

Post by Mr Funk »

Not entirely sure how it works but mine have all been removed as mine's stripped and it passed with no problems.

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
daveyg

Post by daveyg »

Mine passed fine with rear seats but no belts

Good Luck!

LEEP

Post by LEEP »

if you put your back seat down or take out there can not check your rear seats belts thats what the mot tester told me last week when i had mine done :hugegrin:

SCIROCCO GT
Member 934
Thainoodle

Post by Thainoodle »

Ok cheers for that, think I have all the stuff for the belts. Are the rear ones non self tensioning on a gtx? I cannot remember what my past ones have been like :)

stu.gtx

Post by stu.gtx »

Mine are self-tensioning but couldn't say whether or not they're original as one is a lap belt and the other a 3-pointer.

Brunty

Post by Brunty »

GTXs had the inertia lap belts as standard.

Brunty

Nate

Post by Nate »

vehicles first registered before 1st april 1987 have no requirement for rear seatbelts, so they're not testable :)

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
goaferboy

Post by goaferboy »

My understanding of the MOT is that if the car has something, it needs to work/be safe. So no rear seats = no need to test seatbelts.

In theory, you could remove the windscreen to prevent a car from failing on crap wipers. It would be a bit excessive though :hugegrin:

I remember I had to blank off my hazard light switch on my beach buggy because although I had the switch, the car didn't have wiring for hazard lights.

Nate

Post by Nate »

goaferboy wrote:My understanding of the MOT is that if the car has something, it needs to work/be safe. So no rear seats = no need to test seatbelts.

In theory, you could remove the windscreen to prevent a car from failing on crap wipers. It would be a bit excessive though :hugegrin:

I remember I had to blank off my hazard light switch on my beach buggy because although I had the switch, the car didn't have wiring for hazard lights.

doesn't entirely work like that - you do need a screen to pass the mot. if you could just get something thru by removing it, you could just not take the car to the test station then it would pass as there was nothing that the tester could fail :hugegrin: you can get away with removing headlights (seriously!) provided that there is nothing left where they used to be likely to damage pedestrians as you run them over. you would then get a "daylight" test - i.e. you could only drive at times when lights are not needed (night, fog, rain etc)

tbh if you just stuffed the belts down the side of the rear seat out of sight they wouldn't test them and most probably would just presume the car was not fitted with them.

Thainoodle

Post by Thainoodle »

Could I trouble someone for a picture of their seatbelt setup in a gtx please? I'm struggling to see how they go back in...

Only had four sciroccos so still a newby I guess :hehe:

Nate

Post by Nate »

you should get an exploded diagram on vagcat.com

eefy

Post by eefy »

you could alway "borrow" a couple of child seats, the ones fixed in position by the original belts, the test centre will not check them as it would require removal of the child seat, on my last MOT, it just noted passenger side belt not tested due to child seat and that was i the front!!!!! :) sorted lol