Steering column loom melted

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
smudger28
fill in the right answer: 15

Steering column loom melted

Post by smudger28 »

Hi Guys

My sons front wiper washer motor failed so we investigated and found a burnt out cable in the steering column on the same connector as the indicator wires. Can someone please tell me what colour wires do what please as the loom is a bit of a mess. Please see pic.

Thank you

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0bbgbs- ... L1b9xgXe6g

https://share.icloud.com/photos/076rKNP ... 8WwbV0mFjg - Picture of the same loom from 2 years ago.

1986 MK2 Scirocco - GTX - 120k
GT_II

Re: Steering column loom melted

Post by GT_II »

I can't anything that matches that connector on the wiring diagram for post-1984 models in the Haynes manual, which suggests separate connectors for the indicator and wiper column switches, which was presumably changed later. The wires I can be reasonably confident about are that the red/white, black/white and black/white/green wires relate to indicator functions. Black/green could be either indicators or wipers.

But do you really need to know the colour codes? Isn't it just a case of replacing the damaged wires in the loom, matching the colours at both ends?

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
smudger28

Post by smudger28 »

Thanks for getting back GT.

I’m happy replacing the cables but I’m worried what other damage has occurred. Found damage to the cable behind the light switch too. I just would like to know the function of each wire so I can check for damage elsewhere.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/038fzgN ... YDf-FU0o0Q

That switch is damaged at the back.

Cheers

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

A general observation that might be relevant. A short circuit in the wiring should blow the relevant fuse and protect the wiring. Burnouts or signs of over-heating are much more likely to be due to a bad electrical connection, either loose or corroded, or a wire that has become frayed at the join. The burnout would usually be localised to the wiring close by.

Having said that, the obvious connection between the column switches and the lighting circuit would be the dipped headlight function on the indicator stalk. Is it possible that the headlamp wiring has been tampered with in the past in a way which bypasses the fuses?

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
smudger28

Post by smudger28 »

I’m pretty sure that there are some wires that have fused together because we were getting some odd readings. The whole loom needs to be inspected. I think I’ll need to get the cluster out. We need to replace the MFA anyway.

He has some Hella spot lights on the car which he unplugged because the metal housing inside has snapped off therefore the bulb won’t seat correctly. He’s removed the lights and made the cable safe.

The person we brought the car from had done the headlight upgrade loom from Slaughterhouse. I’ve no idea what that involves without looking myself.

The car had a new fuse panel because the relay for the horn would seat correctly. One of the brass clips inside the fuse panel had snapped off.

If I can get the front window screen wash pump working then at least I can put it through the MOT.

smudger28

Post by smudger28 »

No fuses popped either 😢