Scirroco light issues

Forum rules, sign up, posting pics, classifieds
Forum rules
Please can everybody add a town/city location at this point in your profile? Makes life much easier if you start listing parts wanted or for sale.........cheers
MattR2020
fill in the right answer: 15

Scirroco light issues

Post by MattR2020 »

Started having issues with my 1990 scirocco mk2 1.8 8v lately.
Initially right indicator blinker goes faster than usual and rear right indicator light is not flashing, bulb is okay in rear right and all other indicators work just fine also blinks on dash at normal speed.

Drove a while, then i noticed that front inner high beam headlight left side would not come on, checked bulb its fine!

Now still have indicator issue, main highbeam left side issue and now i have lost left headlight aswell as the mainbeam left side....

Thought maybe could be relay for indicators initially changed that but its not sorted the issue. By the way i changed this after all issues occured so its not caused the ones after indicator.

Any ideas would be appreciated???

GT_II
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Scirroco light issues

Post by GT_II »

The indicator relay flashes twice as fast when a bulb is out - it was always that way with VW indicator relays.

In your case, as you've checked the bulbs, there must be issues with the wiring. Do you have a Haynes manual with wiring diagrams? Probably check the earth wiring and earthing points first - earth wires are colour-coded brown.

Another area to look at is the relay board - is there any sign of water getting in there as a result of leaves and muck blocking the rainwater outlets from the plenum chamber? The fact you have issues in more than one circuit may suggest your problem is there.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Scirroco light issues

Post by mark1gls »

Check and clean the bulb holders and earths.
As said also look for water getting into the car above the fuse box as it’s a common problem.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323