Instrument Cluster Removal Mk2

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
trevor
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Instrument Cluster Removal Mk2

Post by trevor »

Thank you GT_II,

At last I have managed to remove my cluster .....Yipee!

Mine is the type with the ecconometer and associated vacuum connection. After many failed attempts to remove it,I left the flexible ecconometer pipe connected and used the more rigid narrower pipe as a guide through the windscreen heater hole/s to hopefully aid refitment. The rigid vacuum pipe was disconnected from the 'T' Piece on the right side of the engine and fed towards the bulkhead. With the speedo already disconnected the instrument cluster was then tilted to an almost horizontal position and placed as far as possible to the left side as you view it. The right side of the binnacle was then able to be drawn aft towards the driver and eventually removed. Mine was reluctant to let go but did so after a lot of persuasion without damage.
The rigid vacuum pipe was then disconnected at the join and the instrument cluster removed. Hope this helps!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Please note that all the above activities were carried out after removal of the parcel shelf and lower panel for access, however limited.

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

I'm glad you're making progress. Ah, the good old econometer - a nice retro feature!

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thank you all,
Does anyone know if the 'L' shaped pcb is still obtainable new? I have tried Heritage but they have none. I did not realise just how complex it is. Isolating the faulty component is beyond my skill level. So, the whole pcb will need replacing.

trevor

Post by trevor »

My research suggests the "L" shaped psb is NLA. Does anyone know how to immobilise the board ?
I could use an oil pressure gauge as an alternative. Still learning!

WreckTangle

Post by WreckTangle »

1. Remove the shelf in the driver's footwell. There is one screw on the left hand side. Two on the right and one going up into the panel above. The shelf then pulls forward and out.

2. Remove the driver's kick panel. There are three plastic push-rivets along the rear edge (nearest the driver) and two screws at the front (near the pedals). It will then pull down and lift away.

3. Remove the steering wheel. This is relatively easy and well worth doing for better access. Mark the alignment if you want to be sure to get it back in the same position.

4. Remove the plastic dash surround. There are two Philips screws in the top and it then just pulls out. I used an old dinner knife to prise the sides gently away from the surrounding dash to aid removal.

5. There is a single screw in the top of the instrument cluster which holds it in position. Undo this.

6. You will now be able to reach up under/behind the dash to undo the electrical connectors and the speedometer cable. These all involve squeezing locking tabs and pulling out.

7. The bottom of the cluster is attached by two plastic pegs which engage in metal hooks. These do just lift out, but may be a little tricky if they have not been disturbed recently.

8. You will now find that the above pegs on the bottom/sides of the cluster prevent it being pulled straight forward and out. I found the best approach was to push it over to the left behind the dash, turn it forward so the front of the instruments is almost facing down and then remove the right hand edge first. Be careful not to scratch the front of it.

Does this cover what you were struggling with? If you need more information let me know. Note my point about using the opportunity to replace dash bulbs if you want to.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Thank you WreckTangle,

Your explanation was indeed exactly what I was after. Being an impatient individual, on the second day of trying the instrument cluster came out. Apart from leaving the econometer connected I used the same technique you so eloquently explained. It seems that your method is the best/only way to remove the cluster......someone will prove me wrong!

Now all I have to do is :-

a) find a replacement 'L' shaped oil pressure device which I believe is part no 321919064k....or....
b) immobilize the existing oil pressure device without affecting other functions within the cluster.

Can anyone assist with the above processes?

Thank you once again WreckTangle. I am sure your method will be adopted by many readers.

Kind regards,

Trevor