Replaced ‘box - struggling to get 1st and 2nd

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
philipayton
fill in the right answer: 15

Replaced ‘box - struggling to get 1st and 2nd

Post by philipayton »

I’ve just changed my gearbox on my 83 mk2. I swapped the original FJ (with non working e / 5th) for a 4T which I believe has the same ratios and mounting points and is interchangeable. It was second hand but running fine when it came out of a Jetta.

Got it refitted and all ok apart from struggling to get first and second gear. I can do it but need to push down as if going into reverse and then it’s not easy. It’s the same whether engine is running or not so think it is to do with the selector mechanism.

Are the boxes the same? I’ve heard about a 19mm spacer being used. Any ideas ?

Thanks

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Replaced ‘box - struggling to get 1st and 2nd

Post by mark1gls »

It sound like the gear change linkage needs a bit of tweaking underneath the gearstick. There is an inspection cap on the rubber boot underneath the car and check the gap between the finger and the end of the gearstick, should be around 19mm but reading online it could need to be between 14mm and 21mm so adjust it till it works for you but I would start at 19mm.

Info and some pictures here.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page ... %2F23%2F24

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
philipayton

Post by philipayton »

Thank you will look at that. Cheers

philipayton

Post by philipayton »

Managed to sort it. Once you get under the car and work out how the selector shaft movement works it was quite straight forward. For a first and second issue it just required the rod to be removed from the splined socket and turned a few degrees.

Now onto the Pierburg carb which maybe more of a challenge.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Thanks for the feed back and glad you managed to sort out the gear change.

There is a couple of threads on this site about the Pierburg carb, sorry I can’t help as with most people when my carb played up I removed it and fitted a Webber carb as easy to set up and work on.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323