Falling out of love , is my own doing?

General discussion focusing mainly on the cars and the Scirocco Register - other stuff within reason.
Forum rules
This is a GENERAL discussion area - we have set up specific areas for eg technical queries, model specific issues etc etc to help you get the right answer quicker.
Mrgarf

Falling out of love , is my own doing?

Post by Mrgarf »

Not often on here now despite being a scirocco owner for around 9 years , why is he writing I ask you say ?
My reasons are as clear as mud! Basically I don’t love my car how I use to , it always has issues it’s horrible to drive , slow things are broken and it’s a bloody plan to get it out the garage .
This morning I was blaming the car it’s caused all this..... however as you think about it I’ve caused this , the latest issue is because I never greased the boot lid , the heater doesn’t work properly because I took it apart, it drives like 💩 because I wound coilovers down and took out helpers ..... I could go on but you get the idea.
My dilemma now is do I sell or sort it out, it’s going to cost money and dedication to do this. It my be better to pass it to a new loving home as maybe my love has gone .
Time will decide I guess but have any of you felt this and did yo keep or sell

Thanks

1984 vw scirocco gl finished in pink
2004 Vw bora highline
2020 Jaguar e-pace checkered flag
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Falling out of love , is my own doing?

Post by mark1gls »

It’s always a dilemma when you think of selling when things keep going wrong but I’m sure you will miss it when it’s gone...
Your car must be getting close to 40 years old then you don’t have to pay for road tax which helps with running costs, the Mk2s are starting to increase in money, so maybe mothball it the winter and think again when the sun comes out???

You could try and increase the ride height to make it smoother or you can get the Eibach springs and Bilstein shock kit for just under £290 if you still have the original strut houses.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
C 20 CCO
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by C 20 CCO »

I’ve been trapped... or should I say faithful. I’ve owned a scirocco x4 since 1989, and been hooked. In recent years I’ve wondered should I have got that Toyota MR2 mk2, that Porsche boxter. A 2001 bmw mini.... I know for sure that if I let my Rocco go I’d miss it. Not only that I’d probably have to pay more to get it back. I just wish I had a better paid job so I could have a bigger garage and fill it with lovelies... sorry getting Carried away there ,, Erhem! Fill it with the cars I would like. 🤔😉 Get some help when government guidelines prevail. Help to fix your heater, your suspension and anything else. At least get it right for you or if not, to a buyer.

Maybe if it’s working fine, you’ll feel differently.

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.
EDDIE-F

Post by EDDIE-F »

I sometimes lose the enthusiasm for my mk2 GT. The thing that saves it, is having uses for it. I use mine at the weekends so I don't have to empty all the tools and spares out of my company issued vehicle, to get my RC planes in. I put a tarp in it and do stinky runs to the tip, when I miss the bin men. Also the belief that one day, I will have fully fixed it all (impossible). Another consideration is how rusty your car is. If its covered in rust blisters and underneath is rotten then ploughing money into the mechanics might not be worth the effort. Maybe better to give someone with enthusiasm for cars, a chance to buy for a bargain price. I say bargain price, so you don't feel guilty. When you see them two years later and three grand in.

C 20 CCO

Post by C 20 CCO »

Ed If you’re happy to, swap to an example in better condition. It does sound like your struggling with this one. If the rust is starting to win, then a full rebuild might be on the cards due to its age; especially daily drivers.
Modifying isn’t on my bucket list, I’m happy to keep it stock and drive it. My income doesn’t allow me to be extravagant with my wallet.
Most mk2 problems have been highlighted on here at some point, fixing them is a matter of logic , and trying not to over think them. When a problem goes on and on it will wear you down; ( I know). A fresh pair of eyes helps in my experience. Like I say, swap it if it’s that bad, they are all bobbing on in the age department; careful what you choose. 👍

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.
EDDIE-F

Post by EDDIE-F »

My cars fine. Its Mrgarf car that in need of TLC.

WreckTangle

Post by WreckTangle »

I bought my Mk2 as a project three years ago and have just finished it. I think the most important thing is not to spend too much time thinking about all the things that are wrong but instead focus on one fix at a time and take the time to get it right. Yes, there will be times when it is frustrating but IMHO the sense of satisfaction and end result is worth it.