New member, 1985 GTL

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Nutty
fill in the right answer: 15

New member, 1985 GTL

Post by Nutty »

Morning, bought on a bit of a whim a 1985 GTL at auction, wanted to buy one in the 80's but bough a Passat instead, Nutty is in remarkably good nick, MOT'd but no history what so ever. My plan is to get the timing belt and all filters and fluids changed, use it and see what else needs sorting, I will have a go at most things after all, it has only been put together by a bloke.The body work is not too bad but the bonnet has been flipped over the roof at some point, looks a bit worse for wear and the hinges have been forced into the bit under the windscreen. The looks are the least of my worries, as long as it doesn't break down too often I'll be happy. Any suggestions on a supplier for a cambelt and idler would be most welcome, went through the forum and have all the fluid and filter specs.

The first tool invented was a hammer, the second a bigger hammer
chopperoli

Re: New member, 1985 GTL

Post by chopperoli »

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a nice GTL. I would recommend a Gates cambelt kit

essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by essextom »

welcome, bonnet hinges are an easy change, also usually a few bonnets floating about if you need a new one.

Blueshark

Post by Blueshark »

If bonnet hinges are needed or any other parts, just ask here and a lot of folks here will help you.

Joost.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Conti belts is what I use, Euro car parts seem to not stock them at the moment...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CONTITECH-TI ... SwHaddneKb

Found one on eBay with tensioner and new stud as well.

Might be worth replacing the stud while at it, in case you don’t know... find 2 nuts to fit on the stud and screw the 2 nut on the stud and lock the together with 2 spanners and then unscrew the stud using the nut nearest the head.
If the stud looks good and not worn you may be able to leave it alone but it has been know for the stud the shear off and the cambelt to become lose, these engine are suppose to not destroy themselves is the belt snaps but I’ve never tested it...
I’ve replaced my timing belt stud twice in 310,000 miles...

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Also well worth changing the gearbox oil as often forgotten about and cheaper than a new gearbox, fully synthetic is what I use in both my cars but check you can undo the filler plug before draining the old oil. Filler plug on the side of the gearbox near the wheel arch and green cap.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/triple-q ... -522776022

2 bottles is plenty

Membership No. 323
Nutty
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Nutty »

Thank you all for the advice, The hinges seem fine, the bonnet is a bit distorted, belt ordered, changing the stud sounds like a good idea, after 133K miles and 35 years might be prudent, the gearbox oil is on the list of things to change, thanks for the link.

The first tool invented was a hammer, the second a bigger hammer
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Tool I use for gearbox filler and drain plug as I don’t have a big 17mm Allen key..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-DRAP ... SwjvJZQnNv

Membership No. 323