GTX Build.

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
hubbadubba
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: GTX Build.

Post by hubbadubba »

SimonB wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:58 am
C 20 CCO wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:45 pm How about Gunmetal colour ..... they’ve come up a treat Simon, nice job[emoji106]
Thanks Dave. They do look pretty good just as they are in gunmetal colour... but planning on using BC coilovers....

h-18-br-ra-2_grande.jpg

So thinking along the lines of gold for some of the suspension components. :-D
Might end up with a bit of gold on the wheels too. Goes with Helios blue nicely 8-)

I've got some other bits of the car in the dip tank currently... gear linkages, engine brackets etc. Once i've media blasted the parts I always dip everything as it gets right into the pores of the metal, especially castings, and stops the rust which blasting can't reach before I powder coat them.
You'll be pleased with the ride on BC coilovers, got a set on my mk1 and they're great, good luck with the build :-)

SimonB

Post by SimonB »

Thanks HubbaDubba... going to be a long process getting it to where i'd like it to be... but i'm confident i'll get there one day :-D
Need to get the BC coilovers ordered at some point. Did your kit come with adjustable front top mounts?

Missed a week on the updates. Been busy getting tyre machines fitted in the shop amongst other jobs i've been meaning to do for ages... so that's taken up all my spare time inbetween customer work.

Have still managed to get a few bits done though...

Radiator cowl blasted and powdercoated, then fitted up with new rad, switch, fan, stainless fasteners etc...
rad assembly.jpg
Epytec top mounts have been retrieved from the mess that I call the parts area upstairs... :laugh:
top mounts.jpg
Lower arm assemblies have been sorted out...
lower arms.jpg
Decided on new lower arms as the originals were pretty rough. New lower balljoints. Blasted and powdercoated the rear bush clamps. All new bolts. New Powerflex bushes front & rear. Lower strut brace has also been dug out of the parts store upstairs... might powdercoat it gold yet though.

So despite not having lots of time... it's still moving forwards :good:

The week aheads job is to get all the boxes of parts down from upstairs and sort through exactly what i've got or not got... then decide what's going to be kept or thrown away and replaced. :scratch:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

97 MK2 GTX Project - Build thread started finally! http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/carfo ... 19&t=22110
68 Beetle
04 Beetle
hubbadubba

Post by hubbadubba »

SimonB wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:39 am Thanks HubbaDubba... going to be a long process getting it to where i'd like it to be... but i'm confident i'll get there one day :-D
Need to get the BC coilovers ordered at some point. Did your kit come with adjustable front top mounts?

Missed a week on the updates. Been busy getting tyre machines fitted in the shop amongst other jobs i've been meaning to do for ages... so that's taken up all my spare time inbetween customer work.

Have still managed to get a few bits done though...

Radiator cowl blasted and powdercoated, then fitted up with new rad, switch, fan, stainless fasteners etc...

rad assembly.jpg

Epytec top mounts have been retrieved from the mess that I call the parts area upstairs... :laugh:

top mounts.jpg

Lower arm assemblies have been sorted out...

lower arms.jpg

Decided on new lower arms as the originals were pretty rough. New lower balljoints. Blasted and powdercoated the rear bush clamps. All new bolts. New Powerflex bushes front & rear. Lower strut brace has also been dug out of the parts store upstairs... might powdercoat it gold yet though.

So despite not having lots of time... it's still moving forwards :good:

The week aheads job is to get all the boxes of parts down from upstairs and sort through exactly what i've got or not got... then decide what's going to be kept or thrown away and replaced. :scratch:
Yes mate, came with adjustable top mounts, have them set at halfway between fully hard to fully soft, fine adjustment definitely makes a difference, not at all crashy, just nice and firm

SimonB

Post by SimonB »

Morning. Hope you're all safe and well...... and finding time for your projects!

I've managed to find a little time recently to get a few bits done on the project so thought i'd drop a little update.

Some parts finally got their nice new powdercoating...
Powder coated parts.jpg

Which means I can start assembling bits...
rack assembly.jpg

New rack, Rod ends, Gaiters, Linkage bush kit, R clips, Powerflex poly bushes, Short shift lever and stainless nuts. The Rack brackets and Gear linkage parts have been stripped, dipped and coated and are the only original bits left now.
Still waiting for some of the powdercoated parts to cool down... then I can get on and assemble the front hub carrier units. :-D

Cylinder head has been fully dismantled and gone away for hot wash and aqua blast before I machine it and rebuild again. Trying to decide what spec to make the engine so not sure whether it'll have a new cam, springs & pulley yet.
Bottom end still needs fully dismantling.... this should get done in the next few days.

Managed to locate the headlight assemblies I picked up for the car...
headlights.jpg

I'll get these stripped this coming week too so i can get the metalwork powdered or plated.

I'm happy with this bit of progress.... which looks like it may continue into next week. :pilot:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

97 MK2 GTX Project - Build thread started finally! http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/carfo ... 19&t=22110
68 Beetle
04 Beetle
mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

BC Coilovers have the adjustable top mount built in. Although their camber adjustment only - I think the Epytec ones can change the caster as well?

SimonB

Post by SimonB »

Well i'm still managing to move the GTX along slowly. Hugely satisfying seeing some of the parts coming together now. Need to find a safe place out of the way to start storing all of the assemblies.... spare bedroom at home seems like a good idea!! :-D

Got a few more bits powdercoated and assembled where I can...

Carrier1.jpg
Looks a bit yellow in that photo.... but it is really gold :-D

Parts1.jpg
Same as before it's all new bearings, bolts, Powerflex bushes etc. New hubs too. Old anti roll bar brackets powdercoated black, but fitted new closing brackets on them.

Engine all stripped down now...

Bottom end1.jpg
I'll get it cleaned up and then sent away for honing. STILL not entirely sure what i'm going to do with the engine as regards spec... Better make my mind up quick. Should get the head back from aqua blast next week so can start to rebuild then. 8-)

Going to try and get the rear beam off the car next week so i can blast it off and powdercoat it. Then can start on all the rear assemblies like i've done with the front so far. Also need to decide what to do with the brakes next week as i want to upgrade them all but haven't made my mind up which route to take yet.

68 Beetle
04 Beetle