Mk2 auto - vibration in D & R and upshift snatchiness!!!

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
kidcrewbob
fill in the right answer: 15

Mk2 auto - vibration in D & R and upshift snatchiness!!!

Post by kidcrewbob »

In the process of preparing a replacement 010 TJ box & torque converter but since I swapped the ATF on the existing box (also a TJ) a couple of times and replaced sump gasket & filter seems to be running better in terms of the change ups - first to second was a right thump / snatch BUT vibration in D when at a standstill or in R is still there.

Still a bit snatchy first to second when cold but much better when warmed up - also more snatchy when going lightly on the go pedal - giving it beans seems to encourage a smoother upshift.

It's been suggested that the TC could be causing the vibration, or engine / box mounts shot - no vibration in P or N though.

Appreciate any thoughts on this (or indeed direct experience) before a charge into a whole box swap.

TIA
Rob

unknownmale

Re: Mk2 auto - vibration in D & R and upshift snatchiness!!!

Post by unknownmale »

Definitely check all four mounts. I did so many flushes trying to chase this issue with an old auto. Used to bang into D and vibrate the dash at a standstill, 2 of the 4 mounts were shot!

Shifts were always smooth for me though, so may also be a fault with the box.

Vibration is most likely a shot mount or two.

- David
kidcrewbob

Post by kidcrewbob »

Cheers - will check all mounts this weekend and see where we go from there.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

It’s usually the front or rear mount that takes most of the damage but worth having a look at the side mounts.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
kidcrewbob

Post by kidcrewbob »

Going the whole hog and renewing all 4 while the transmission is out ...noticed rear mount only had one of the 2 bolts on the engine side. Front looks ok now it's off but will be a pig to swap the rubber by the look of it.....

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

Yeah the side engine mount and the gearbox mount are a pain to change. I did mine a couple of months ago. Used a saw to get the old ones out, then to get the new ones in I put them in the freezer for a couple of days and pressed them in, But you can just take the mounts to a local shop who can do it for you.

- David
kidcrewbob

Post by kidcrewbob »

Great tips!! See how I get on