3D printing and Scirocco parts?

General discussion focusing mainly on the cars and the Scirocco Register - other stuff within reason.
Forum rules
This is a GENERAL discussion area - we have set up specific areas for eg technical queries, model specific issues etc etc to help you get the right answer quicker.
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: 3D printing and Scirocco parts?

Post by james butler »

any chance you guys could make the little clip that holds the bonnet stay in place when not used?
mine shattered the other day.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

james butler wrote:any chance you guys could make the little clip that holds the bonnet stay in place when not used?
James - https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/8678233 ... cco-caddy/

Serial Rocco-ist.........
james butler

Post by james butler »

GTXTRA wrote:
james butler wrote:any chance you guys could make the little clip that holds the bonnet stay in place when not used?
James - https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/8678233 ... cco-caddy/
Awsome gtxtra,
Gonna order a few of those!

Bonusrocco

Post by Bonusrocco »

Just from what I've looked up it would seem that 3D printing at the moment is still mostly only good for prototyping. Lots of stuff comes into play like how the plastic used reacts to UV light and water, heat and involves a lot of trial and error.

I think companies like Heritage etc are missing a beat by not having a go at this - but saying that its all about copyright in the end I guess!

I can do some 3D modelling with Autocad and Microstation, but the real skill is knowing how the materials are going to behave, and modelling to suit them.

Just having a little search it would seem there aren't any companies online specifically doing car bits.

So many plans, so little time
james butler

Post by james butler »

I did a training course at abb robotics once and they were at the prototype stage of mounting the 3d printer head to one of there welding robots allowing them to build HUGE models e.g a complete car
It was a few years back so wouldn't be surprised if it's now in use.

Mk1F00L
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Mk1F00L »

I know, bringing this back this thread from the dead but was wondering if anyone still has the STL file for the clips that go around the rear quarter windows I am short a few for my project. Or know somewhere or someone reproducing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

Hi, this subject pricked my memory! 1lazza on here (Laurence) was the originator of this - rear quarter clips.
It might be worth contacting him? I did have the file but I can't find it...

I had a go at this sometime ago and the printed material at the time was to brittle to cope. Time and technology always moves on..

1lazza

Post by 1lazza »

I still have the stl files somewhere - and the clips may not be perfect first time out as they have not been prototyped yet...

Key thing to remember is that they must be printed in Nylon as it is the only RP material with the right properties for the job. Printing should also be SLA, not SLS and on a decent resolution machine. Get in touch if you think I may be able to help

//Laurence

Mk1F00L

Post by Mk1F00L »

1lazza wrote:I still have the stl files somewhere - and the clips may not be perfect first time out as they have not been prototyped yet...

Key thing to remember is that they must be printed in Nylon as it is the only RP material with the right properties for the job. Printing should also be SLA, not SLS and on a decent resolution machine. Get in touch if you think I may be able to help

//Laurence
Sent you a message, thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

Has anyone created a database of all these drawings?

I am happy to upload them all to thingverse if someone sends them to me.

And has anyone tried pla also for any of these clips?I have had no issues at all with it on lots of bits. I wouldn't use it under bonnet or external but anywhere else why not.

I have a prusa mk2 so get some excellent print results and have never had a need for anything else beyond pla or abs.

Mick

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

Does anyone know where these files are then? I would love to see whats available :)

I have some carbon infused filament to try on our printer. I bet it produces good solid clips.

essextom

Post by essextom »

I bought a 3d printer the other week, experimented with sill clips from PLA but its a bit brittle and snapped quickly, im going to try some other filament in the next few weeks to see if i can make any that are durable enough.

Thingiverse has the sill clips and also a rear wiper delete trim panel uploaded already. search scirocco and they pop up.

PeteGLi

Post by PeteGLi »

I spoke to a 3D printing company at the Practical Classic & Restoration Show in Birmingham, and gave them a boomerang trim clip, to see what they could do and to price up.

I had an email from them on Saturday, and I will be calling the company tomorrow to get them to clarify the details.
Peter

PeteGLi

Post by PeteGLi »

PeteGLi wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:48 pm I spoke to a 3D printing company at the Practical Classic & Restoration Show in Birmingham, and gave them a boomerang trim clip, to see what they could do and to price up.

I had an email from them on Saturday, and I will be calling the company tomorrow to get them to clarify the details.
Peter
I have spoken to the company who tell me that the clips would be made in engineering nylon.
1 clip consists of both parts - the clip and the centre dowel.
Price wise, depends upon the number of clips ordered:

1 clip = £25.00 each
2-5 clips = £12.50 each
6-15 clips = £5.20 each
16-60 clips = £2.65 each
61-100 clips = £1.86 each
101 + clips = £1.52 each

Plus VAT on top.

Any takers?

Peter

essextom

Post by essextom »

PeteGLi wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:28 am
PeteGLi wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:48 pm I spoke to a 3D printing company at the Practical Classic & Restoration Show in Birmingham, and gave them a boomerang trim clip, to see what they could do and to price up.

Peter
I have spoken to the company who tell me that the clips would be made in engineering nylon.
1 clip consists of both parts - the clip and the centre dowel.
Price wise, depends upon the number of clips ordered:

1 clip = £25.00 each
2-5 clips = £12.50 each
6-15 clips = £5.20 each
16-60 clips = £2.65 each
61-100 clips = £1.86 each
101 + clips = £1.52 each

Plus VAT on top.

Any takers?

Peter
So how many clips are needed for a whole vehicle? Guessing these are for the chrome strip fitment?