steering wheel alignment

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Lukeh17
fill in the right answer: 15

steering wheel alignment

Post by Lukeh17 »

Hi,

I got my car back from the bodyshop and asked them to check my wheel alignment - and I believe they have done so, as the steering wheel is completely out of position.

I have the later steering wheel (see link) and I'm guessing the center part is the bit I need to prise free to get to the nut?

http://www.driversfound.com/scirocco/hi ... k1988e.htm

unknownmale

Re: steering wheel alignment

Post by unknownmale »

Yeah, you can pull it off without any tools, then there is a metal plate that you take off and then you'll see the 24mm or 26mm nut.

- David
Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

Got it - thanks

essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by essextom »

take it back and get them to sort it.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

You need to check the steering rack in centralised, lift the front of the car and count the turns from centre to full lock each way, it’s about 2 1/4 turns each way, find the middle and set your steering wheel to that then get your tracking done as they will adjust it to a straight steering wheel and if it’s off you will have more turns 1 way and you can catch the wishbone with the tyre.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

essextom wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:27 am take it back and get them to sort it.
Was thinking that ;)

Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

mark1gls wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:32 am You need to check the steering rack in centralised, lift the front of the car and count the turns from centre to full lock each way, it’s about 2 1/4 turns each way, find the middle and set your steering wheel to that then get your tracking done as they will adjust it to a straight steering wheel and if it’s off you will have more turns 1 way and you can catch the wishbone with the tyre.
Thanks for this - very useful advice

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

If you do need to remove the steering wheel undo the big nut but don’t remove it completely as you may need to tap behind the steering wheel with your hands to losen it and if the nut is removed there’s a chance the steering wheel will fly off when you bang it and it’s hits you in face..... I found this out the hard way, big egg on my head for a few days.... :-D

Membership No. 323
Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

mark1gls wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:46 pm If you do need to remove the steering wheel undo the big nut but don’t remove it completely as you may need to tap behind the steering wheel with your hands to losen it and if the nut is removed there’s a chance the steering wheel will fly off when you bang it and it’s hits you in face..... I found this out the hard way, big egg on my head for a few days.... :-D

Haha - that doesn't sound too good! Will definitely do that. How easy does the cover come off? I'm worried it's gonna snap in two!

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I have a different steering wheel to you as I don’t have a Mk2, I think there is 4 tabs in each corner which hold the cover on, you carefully pull the cover off, go at each corner in turn, there is some wires attached to the back of it for the horn so watch those as well

Membership No. 323
Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

Cheers Mark - yes I've got it off in piece and disconnected the wires - however there is a square plastic section which is stopping me getting to the nut. Part number is 191 419 675 A. Not sure whether this is bolted in or just pushed in and again, don't want to break it. Do you know how this is attached?

essextom

Post by essextom »

That square but is pushed in.

Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

essextom wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:47 pm That square but is pushed in.
Thanks - I might heat it up a little to get it off then as it's on there very tight!

Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

Is the nut a 24mm?

james butler

Post by james butler »

before you take the wheel off do you have both adjustable track rods? or one fixed one?
if theyre both adjustable i would definately be taking it back to the garage as they can adjust it to suit so the wheel is straight.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!