Insurance on mk2 for young driver

For all insurance related queries. Opinions expressed here do not represent the official view of Scirocco Register. If in doubt contact an insurance company or broker.
Forum rules
Ask away but please remember that most advice in this section may not necessarily apply to you and your situation. If in doubt contact an insurance company or broker.
Jiffy
fill in the right answer: 15

Insurance on mk2 for young driver

Post by Jiffy »

Hi all,

I'm an 18 year old lad and am looking to insure my Scirocco very soon, as soon as my first year of driving has passed. At the time of insuring I will (fingers crossed!) have a year of no claims, which I'm hoping will help to bring the insurance down... My problem is that I can't find anyone who are willing to insure me on the car due to my age, so can anyone recommend any suitable insurers for young drivers?

Thanks! :-D

1984 MK2 GL
MK21800
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Insurance on mk2 for young driver

Post by MK21800 »

I think a lot of us gnarly old codgers with lots of no claims end up with Adrian Flux. I assume you've tried them already? They tend to shoot for the classic car policies. The underwriter for mine is called "Kinetic" (???) off the top of my head.

Not sure what they're like with young drivers. To reduce your policy, the classic car insurance does that, as does keeping the car off road. Perhaps if they were willing to cover you under classic car insurance, it might even out at the kind of quote you'd get with normal insurance on a normal car, i.e. about 500 quid?

eefy

Post by eefy »

It also depends on if your going down the classic insurance route which may be cheaper but wont be able go gain no claims.

Lancaster are good with insurance or try Brentacre

:)

ScalaSam

Post by ScalaSam »

I'm 17 next month, can't wait to get driving! Really worried about insurance though as well

1990 Scala Injection
No others yet...
Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

MK21800 wrote:I think a lot of us gnarly old codgers with lots of no claims end up with Adrian Flux. I assume you've tried them already? They tend to shoot for the classic car policies. The underwriter for mine is called "Kinetic" (???) off the top of my head.

Not sure what they're like with young drivers. To reduce your policy, the classic car insurance does that, as does keeping the car off road. Perhaps if they were willing to cover you under classic car insurance, it might even out at the kind of quote you'd get with normal insurance on a normal car, i.e. about 500 quid?

I tried Adrian Flux when I first started driving, and they quoted £6000 :? But I'm yet to try them for a quote after driving for a year.
Yeah I was thinking the classic car policy, but I will need to be driving the car every day as I can't afford 2 cars at the moment, so I feel that might rule out the classic car insurance path as I'm guessing that'll need limited mileage?

1984 MK2 GL
Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

eefy wrote:It also depends on if your going down the classic insurance route which may be cheaper but wont be able go gain no claims.

Okay thanks, I'll give those two a try! So by going classic insurance I won't be able to continue any no claims? :?

1984 MK2 GL
Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

ScalaSam wrote:I'm 17 next month, can't wait to get driving! Really worried about insurance though as well
Driving is an amazing feeling! Tell me about it, for my first year I'm running a Seat Ibiza 1.2, but it costs me £1200 and that's with a black box! :-o

1984 MK2 GL
bengould

Post by bengould »

As far as I know most classic policies only cover drivers over 25. That along with the usual 5K mileage limit might put that right out the window.

I use RH Classic Insurance, and had my 20vt mk2 covered for about £250, all mods declared but 5k mile limit. On a normal policy it would have cost me well over a grand. At 30+ with lots of no claims bonus.

You might be better off with a cheap 1 litre polo for a couple of years to build up a bit of no claims and then come back to the rocco once you can insure it for a reasonable amount of money. As much as they are a great car to drive, there does come a point that it's just not worth paying the money to insure something.

Ben

ScalaSam

Post by ScalaSam »

True, might have to wait a few years before driving one.

1990 Scala Injection
No others yet...
scrappy1382

Post by scrappy1382 »

on a different note to your situation.
you could always rebuild the car the way you want so its 100% before you start driving her around ;-)
there only gonna go up in value. they ( slowly ) are going up

Scirocco Shane
84 cosmos blue storm - mafia car choice 2015 rip :-(
84 Havanna Brown Storm - 8-)
eefy

Post by eefy »

Jiffy wrote:
eefy wrote:It also depends on if your going down the classic insurance route which may be cheaper but wont be able go gain no claims.

Okay thanks, I'll give those two a try! So by going classic insurance I won't be able to continue any no claims? :?
You can maintain your no claims for 3 years whilst on a classic policy I think, after that they disappear and you have to start again when you go back to full insurance

james butler

Post by james butler »

another way is to use your parents policy and put yourself on as a main driver of the vehicle.
only trouble is if you crash then you lose your parents no claims.
some insurers will let you build no claims this way so you only lose your own and not your parents.
do your research and ring around as they will often do deals to beat each other.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

bengould wrote:As far as I know most classic policies only cover drivers over 25. That along with the usual 5K mileage limit might put that right out the window.

I use RH Classic Insurance, and had my 20vt mk2 covered for about £250, all mods declared but 5k mile limit. On a normal policy it would have cost me well over a grand. At 30+ with lots of no claims bonus.

You might be better off with a cheap 1 litre polo for a couple of years to build up a bit of no claims and then come back to the rocco once you can insure it for a reasonable amount of money. As much as they are a great car to drive, there does come a point that it's just not worth paying the money to insure something.

Ben
Cheers Ben, yeah I might have to look into going down that road!

1984 MK2 GL
Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

scrappy1382 wrote:on a different note to your situation.
you could always rebuild the car the way you want so its 100% before you start driving her around ;-)
there only gonna go up in value. they ( slowly ) are going up
Haha not with this Rocco ;-) It's completely original with 25k miles so I'm trying my best to keep it that way! :-D
Although I guess I could find another one to rebuild... ;-)

1984 MK2 GL
Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

james butler wrote:another way is to use your parents policy and put yourself on as a main driver of the vehicle.
only trouble is if you crash then you lose your parents no claims.
some insurers will let you build no claims this way so you only lose your own and not your parents.
do your research and ring around as they will often do deals to beat each other.
That's the worry I have with that idea! Yeah I'm starting to ring around this week, see what deals (if any) I can get

1984 MK2 GL