V.A.G. Trophy - Mallory Park

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Ian Carvell

V.A.G. Trophy - Mallory Park

Post by Ian Carvell »

I don't belive this....my tired old Mk2 Rocco GTII has won Class 'B' again...thats a hat trick now!!

On a weekend with some pretty awesome machinery turning out to race I felt a little out of place in the assembly area with my caged up road car. In front was a 380bhp Seat Leon Cupra 'R', a 320bhp Corrado Turbo, then behind me was a 250bhp Seat Leon Supercopa, 2 Vento VR6 Challenge cars, Vr6 Mk2 etc etc.

I managed to qualify just 0.2 seconds behind two of the front 16v Mk2 Golf GTI Championship racecars, despite really bad fuel starvation problems in the long corners....it was very tricky turning into gerrards at @90mph then having no power to keep the car from swapping ends :shocking:

I knew it would make a massive improvement in lap time if I could solve the fuel system problem, so thanks to Phil Bowler at Trackside Motorsport for helping me raise the fuel level in the carb....

In the race the addition pace meant that I could keep up with the leading 16v Mk2 Golf GTI Championship car and even have a stab up the inside into the hairpin on a few laps, but he was too quick in a straight line to get close enough for a real attack and drove faultlesly....hope I can beat him at Silverstone in 3 weeks.

the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: V.A.G. Trophy - Mallory Park

Post by the edmundator »

Ian Carvell wrote:despite really bad fuel starvation problems in the long corners....it was very tricky turning into gerrards at @90mph then having no power to keep the car from swapping ends :shocking:
That's almost the same problem I used to have around Gerrards, except I'd be fine around the corner, then no power to accelerate on the back straight.

Congrats on the win; keep the Scirocco flag flying :cool:

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
filmidget
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by filmidget »

Impressive!

Encourages me to make sure my build complies with some series regs so I can have a go too.

Didn't realise you were at Mallory - one of my favourite tracks to spectate at.

'82 GTI 'CagedRoc' - MG Midget - Volvo 850 T5 - Citroen C2 GT - Lilac Trailer Custodian
Current owned:roadworthy factor = 75% (personal record)
Ian Carvell

Post by Ian Carvell »

We are at Silverstone in 3 weeks time....pop along and have a look.

I am really looking forward to this one...I may have time to swap the standard springs and dampers for something a little better. I put some large bump stops in to replicate larger spring rates, but the standard dampers just cannot cope, it ends up hitting the bump stop and bouncing off it....although Silverstone is like a billiard table so should be less of a problem than mallory park.