Original Brand of Tyre On 1987 Scala??

Standard and aftermarket Wheels and Tyres
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Oggy
fill in the right answer: 15

Original Brand of Tyre On 1987 Scala??

Post by Oggy »

I'm recomissioning my 1987 Scala after a 15 year lay up. :-o
I'm sure the space saver is Continental branded, but my question is what brand did VW fit on new Sky Rockets around that time?.
Was it a case of whatever they could source for the best deal at the time.
Due to the space saver am I right to assume they favoured their own brand of Continental.
I want to use the car in summer for next years shows and it has the stock Scala 16X6 Avus alloys and I wish to keep it as stock as possible even down to the tyres.
I had a set of Pirreli P6000s fitted in 1993 that are hardly worn but perrished and TBH never suited the car . :-(

What other tyres in 185/60R14 H does Forum users prefer these days?.

Dave,
North Lincolnshire.

GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Original Brand of Tyre On 1987 Scala??

Post by GTXTRA »

My original 87 GTX had P6's when I got it on 13,000 miles back in 89 and the original 16v had Conti's fitted to it when previous owner bought it from same dealer - so yes I think it's safe to assume they did deals at the factory.

Checking black circles for what they list for that size tyre and going with something reputable would be my best advice.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

Agree with Sean about getting a reputable brand of tyre! Most VW's in the '80's were fitted with Pirelli tyres, my original Storm brochure from 1984 states Pirelli P6's, and don't forget that some Sciroccos were fitted with Pirelli P-slot wheels.

The P6's are no longer available, the latest version is the P6000.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
Oggy

Post by Oggy »

Thanks for your replys fellas :-D
I forgot about the brochures I have every model year of the MKII.
Pirreli P6 that's a blast from the past , I had them on a Fiesta Supersport years ago, also I own an SE5A Scimitar and for years it's had a set of Good Year NCT2 s on it....now they're some oldies now.

It has P6000s on it and I never liked the way it rode and I know it sounds a tad sad, but never liked the thread pattern neither.
So Contis are high on the list at the moment.

ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

Get a magnifying glass on one of the brochures, pretty sure it will say pirelli on the tyres!
I have P6000's on my Sciroccos but a big thumbs up for Continental, I have these on my A4 and are far better (and last longer!) than the original Dunlops it left the factory with.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)