HERMAN THE GERMAN! '91 Scala 20vt

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
treefingers
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: HERMAN THE GERMAN! '91 Black Scala 20vt in the making

Post by treefingers »

Learnt how to flare brake lines today.. it's a pretty fun and easy job! Got 3 wheels done then ran out of copper pipe so I've had to order some more...

New lines, stainless steel hoses, new master cylinder, MK2 9" servo, MK2 Golf discs and my ebay bargain £8 256mm Astra callipers... agh! Vauxhall!!!

Desperately (well, not really desperately. Not like I need a pee.) need to find out the long linkage pushrod length as I've taken mine out and want to make sure the brakes aren't going to bind etc.. If anyone knows it I'd be grateful!

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

Right brake lines in and brake pedal connected. Need to buy a mk2 golf brake reservoir to complete and that's the stopping out of the way.

Ordered the limited slip differential from the USA so I've got to twiddle my thumbs until that arrives because it's made me skint again! Then it's gearbox teardown time!

No good photo updates I'm afraid except this came in the post today.. BMW E30 top fill radiator.

And I'm thinking of getting the engine bay resprayed, I think it can look better. It's the sort of thing that maybe doesn't really matter, but I know I'll always be annoyed if I don't do it..

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

Diff is going to take 4 weeks to arrive. Currently run out of money and new parts to fit. ARRGH JUST WANNA BUILD THIS THING!!

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

So while I'm waiting for my diff to come I've been getting really jittery not being able to work on the car! It's been frustrating but I've managed to find some tinkery jobs to get done in the meantime, odd bits here and there. I pulled the car out of the farmer's barn it's living in and it was covered in a thick layer of poppy seed dust. The same poppy seeds the NHS use for morphine! Gave it it's first wash and the new paint in the sunshine was looking awesome. Re mounted the fuel pump with a new bracket welded to the chassis. I'd bolted it via the tab that holds the brake lines, so I found it can't go there! Doh.

Amongst tinkery jobs I've made a box for the battery as it's going to sit in the boot. Made from aluminium so it's lightweight. It bolts to the floor of the boot by 4xm8 bolts. The lid fastens but I've still gotta finish the part that bolts the battery to the box.

Here she is in the boot..

And inside.. Theres a big hole in the back to get the cables through. Need to source some +cable. Apparently the earth cable from a welder is useful for this. The steel bar is the part that will hold the battery in, that part needs finishing.

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

Oh before I forget will 8x15 et0 wheels fit under the rear arches? The arches are rolled.

I've found some dishy wheels that could be perfect for this but don't know if they'll fit ok.

Nate
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Nate »

treefingers wrote:Learnt how to flare brake lines today.. it's a pretty fun and easy job!
how many times did you do my trick and forget to put the nut on the pipe?

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
treefingers

Post by treefingers »

Nate wrote:
treefingers wrote:Learnt how to flare brake lines today.. it's a pretty fun and easy job!
how many times did you do my trick and forget to put the nut on the pipe?
ha. I managed to avoid doing that thanks to anyone and everyone I know warning me of it!

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

MK4 Golf shifter fitted today. Was dreading doing this but it came together ok with some smoking.

'ad to cut a bigga 'ole in da floer, then sealed the seams and slapped on some primer and spray paint

Got the shifter mounted on a bar I welded in

Exhaust has plenty of clearance. I'm going to run the cables over the steering rack. Don't know if 02j cables with be the right length yet.

Cut the stick from the rocco gear stick and welded it on the mk4 mechanism so it's got the rocco bend, you'd never know the shifter had been upgraded :)

cut a piece of ali for a numberplate surround, sprayed it matt black, riveted it in and mounted the number plate. pretty much there on the rear end visually now I think (apart from lows and I want a mk1 vw badge.

Just had an email from the guy who sold me the diff in the US. After taking about a week to respond to my email he says it hasn't been shipped yet but it's ok because it's guaranteed to ship NEXT FRIDAY!!?! This is looonngg!! :(

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

Painted the gearbox yesterday, pretty pleased with the finish considering I only keyed it up with a scotchy pad :)Image

So chuffed when I found this online!

Rusty dan

Post by Rusty dan »

Build looking awesome mate! Loving the mk4 shiter work! :vcool:

Click below for Rocco build pics
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w114 ... occo%20GT/

insanecreations.net
pajsh

Post by pajsh »

What did you paint the gearbox with??

I'm looking to tidy one up to put in as a temporary measure till I get the original one re-built and I want it to look half decent.

Do you need to provide some type primer for the ali?

Is that light at the end of the tunnel or a train coming the other way?

See my build thread here:- viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10466&start=75
treefingers

Post by treefingers »

pajsh wrote:What did you paint the gearbox with??

I'm looking to tidy one up to put in as a temporary measure till I get the original one re-built and I want it to look half decent.

Do you need to provide some type primer for the ali?
I steam cleaned it, rubbed it down with these type of pads

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABRASIVE-PADS ... 1148099199

wiped with degreaser and used this paint straight on to the metal. loads and loads of really thin light coats

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HI-TEMP-SPRAY ... 3a834510ad

pajsh

Post by pajsh »

Thanks I may try some of that.

I have no steam cleaner though :-(.

Certainly looks a good finish.

Is that light at the end of the tunnel or a train coming the other way?

See my build thread here:- viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10466&start=75
treefingers

Post by treefingers »

Started getting parts through the post to build my downpipe. Jetex are pretty good for this, got a couple of 2.5" 90 deg bends that will be useful, more bits to come. Managed to find a 10mm thick ko3s flange on ebay but the outlet is 3.5 inch, so I've made up some plans with a box of fruit and fibre and a cardboard compass to make my own reducer from 2mm steel. Worked it out exact, just need to cut two arc pieces, roll/bend them and weld em together.

Tires came today! :) Was between these and Goodyear F1s. Never driven on brand new tyres before so these should be fun.. Toyo T1R 195 45 15

And operation smooth bumpers is well underway. Spend 4 hours on these and I'm yet to block my second coat of primer! Need to find the right kind of black paint for the top coat. I've got matt black and gloss black but it would be good to find a half shiney black.

Loads of goodies in the post tho. Gonna be a good week! :) (Still no LSD though!)

bengould

Post by bengould »

Looking great. Am slightly jealous because your "nearly" finished and I'm just in the process of getting started.
I'm a long way off yet going to try and get as much together as I can before I even start. No doubt I'll miss something, but trying to be well prepared.
Just 1 question, I did have a read back through but couldn't find anything. What intercooler are you planning on using?
I've read loads of how to guides but not managed to find a definite "this is the one to use" yet.

Ben.