Alarm/ Immobilizer cutting car out whilst driving

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
crashbanggg
fill in the right answer: 15

Alarm/ Immobilizer cutting car out whilst driving

Post by crashbanggg »

The last two times I have driven my car, the Alarm has gone off and the immobilizer has killed the engine, once when I had to do an emergency brake at about 60mph and again today when I hit a small bump in road. To turn the alarm off, I had to get out and disconnect the battery both times. However today, it simply would not work, as the alarm would go off as soon as I shut the door/ bonnet and cut everything again.

This has only happened since installing my sub, which I guess must be at fault, especially since it appeared to work alright once I had removed the sub's power cable from the battery. So why could this be/ what have I done wrong?

The sub was wired in by unscrewing the bolt on the battery terminal and sliding the ring connector on, then bolting back up:

And the amp for the sub is earthed as such (If that would have an effect?Though the sub/ amp work fine when the car is going):

Oh, and the alarm randomly went off whilst sat on the driveway (I have never actively turned the alarm on, im not even convinced the motion sensor is connected)
What have I done wrong?!

Cheers

Chris

1992 GT2
ianaudia4

Re: Alarm/ Immobilizer cutting car out whilst driving

Post by ianaudia4 »

Try disconnecting the amp. Check every accessible earth and clean up if necessary.
Does sound like you have upset the system by fitting the amp.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
Jack92
Site Admin

Post by Jack92 »

Where is that earthed to? As it could well be an earth issue causing it. Maybe just find a better section of metal (not coated in anything)

Jack
South East

VW Scirocco Scala MK2 1.8 Inj
Jaguar XE

www.jackgregory.me.uk
crashbanggg

Post by crashbanggg »

I'll have a check over some bits tomorrow. It's currently earthed to my parcel shelf clip bits (Which is aluminium with a bolt securing it in place), but I might switch it to the rear seatbelt plug connectors as that looks a bit more 'raw' for the metal contact.

1992 GT2
ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

crashbanggg wrote:I'll have a check over some bits tomorrow. It's currently earthed to my parcel shelf clip bits (Which is aluminium with a bolt securing it in place), but I might switch it to the rear seatbelt plug connectors as that looks a bit more 'raw' for the metal contact.
Obviously a very poor earth! Take an earth from boot light switch but connect it properly!

crashbanggg

Post by crashbanggg »

Aha, it's becoming clearer day-by-day how much of a n00b I am at all this!

1992 GT2
ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

Just ensure you don't bodge, this is obviously why you are having other electrical issues mate.

crashbanggg

Post by crashbanggg »

I connected the earth to the earth used for the rear lights and have successfully commuted to uni and back without any trouble! Now to try and fix my wipers!

1992 GT2
ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

crashbanggg wrote:I connected the earth to the earth used for the rear lights and have successfully commuted to uni and back without any trouble! Now to try and fix my wipers!
Glad to hear it. Worthwhile checking your earth strap from the coil to the block.