Misfire

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
BrummieGTS
fill in the right answer: 10

Misfire

Post by BrummieGTS »

My Scirocco is being trailered home tomorrow after being in my parents garage for about the last eight years.

It has been started every few months and its always started well however I started it a couple of months ago and it's misfiring. So I recently bought some new plugs, leads, dizzy cap and rotary arm. I have now changed all these and although there seems to be a slight improvement it's still not right. :(

Any ideas on what to check next?

Thanks

Tom

1.8 GTS, GTi Head ported & polished,fast road cam,9 bar pump, 2.0 throttle body,4-2-1 Manifold,Jetex 3" Exhaust,TSW Pipercross airbox,285mm Brakes & Rear discs.
Nate

Re: Misfire

Post by Nate »

Is it a regular miss (i.e.always the same cylinder) or just randomly?

if its regular, pull each of the plug leads off in turn with the engine running (use insulated pliers) to see which cylinder

if its not a regular miss, check for mouse nest in airfilter, then I'd be looking for an intake problem. Either carb gummed up with old fuel, water in the fuel, perished carb gasket etc

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
BrummieGTS

Post by BrummieGTS »

I have tried pulling the leads off one by one but its just gets worse on each one i.e. it's not running on 3 cylinders. I have also put some fresh fuel in.

Oh and it's injection not carb, maybe worth putting some redex in ?

1.8 GTS, GTi Head ported & polished,fast road cam,9 bar pump, 2.0 throttle body,4-2-1 Manifold,Jetex 3" Exhaust,TSW Pipercross airbox,285mm Brakes & Rear discs.
ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

Is enough fuel getting through, take out the fuel sender and check the lift pump, it may be clogged.
Take a look at all the vacuum hoses also.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
Nate

Post by Nate »

Has it spent 8 years garaged or outside? Checked for water in fuel?

other than that, Kjet is voodoo, so can't really help any more

BrummieGTS

Post by BrummieGTS »

It's been garaged for 8 years, I will check the lift pump and put a good 25l of fuel in it before I try anything else

Nate

Post by Nate »

How much fuel is in it? Might be worth draining the tank. The 5 year old fuel that came out of my mk1 was brown!

BrummieGTS

Post by BrummieGTS »

Only about 4 litres in there

BrummieGTS

Post by BrummieGTS »

Fixed :)

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Are you not going to let us know what you did to fix it?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
BrummieGTS

Post by BrummieGTS »

I don't know lol, the only thing I have done was to clean up any connections/earths tried it again and it was fine :D

Thanks for your help the guys :)