will a 1.8t conversion spoil mk2 handling?

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
treefingers
fill in the right answer: 15

will a 1.8t conversion spoil mk2 handling?

Post by treefingers »

as above really. going to 16v my scala but quite tempted also by a 1.8t. just wondering if it's going to spoil its handling though? if it is ill write that idea off but if not I'm seriously thinking about it. thanks

Mr Funk

Re: will a 1.8t conversion spoil mk2 handling?

Post by Mr Funk »

I've been in a few a1 chassis cars with 20vt and there are absolutely awesome. I reckon it's a perfect engine, mine would have one now but someone offered me a large amount of money for the conversion I'd got.
The only problem is that if you put 200bhp through that chassis sir is going to see some twistage.
Conversion parts are all readily available though

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by the edmundator »

You'd need to know the relative weight of the engines and their comparative centre of gravity and position within the engine bay.

If it's a lot heavier or taller, or the weight is more forwards then yes, it will adversely affect the handling.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

It'll be great in a straight line :D

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

Mr Funk wrote:I've been in a few a1 chassis cars with 20vt and there are absolutely awesome. I reckon it's a perfect engine, mine would have one now but someone offered me a large amount of money for the conversion I'd got.
The only problem is that if you put 200bhp through that chassis sir is going to see some twistage.
Conversion parts are all readily available though
I'm liking the sound of that. if I get some chassis strength through f+r upper and lower strut braces that will help?

and am I right in thinking the 1.8t engine is doh? same as an abf, so the weight shouldn't be too much difference, only the weight of the turbo manifold, pipes and intercooler?

I really don't want to spoil corner handling as I want this car to be as fun as I can make it. some expensive coilovers for this?

thanks for your advice guys, I'm learning about all this stuff!

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Check Roxylife build thread - if it was likely to upset handling Henry would be unlikely to have gone to the trouble he has.

I'm far from a purist but if I lost an engine on any of mine I'd go down a g60 or (Mk1) g40 route for a laugh - 2.0 16v on carbs appeals too. Beyond that a 20v T would work well enough based on what Henry has done and also a long forgotten forum user 20vterror' (or similar)

His car

and this beast still lives

it started out in this shell

Whatever you do - avoid the VR6 thing. Buy a Corrado instead.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
Roxylife

Post by Roxylife »

The extra weight will 'effect' the handling yes. How much though, not enough be detrimental in any way.

I intend to run a stiffer front ARB, but that's it!

Motorsport is my passion.
treefingers

Post by treefingers »

cheers guys. I know what I need to do!