mk1 'rocco wings

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
sciroccogls
fill in the right answer: 15

mk1 'rocco wings

Post by sciroccogls »

Ok well I'm just after buying myself a 1979 'rocco and its my first project, It has wrap around indicators and I was just wondering is it possible or has any1 before changed the wings to the old style ones as they are much nicer looking? Some people may not agree with changing the look off them but I was just wondering is it possible to do so? Any help will be much appreciated tahnks :newbie:

GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: mk1 'rocco wings

Post by GTXTRA »

Yep, there's a few cars in prep with that change incorporated - earlier wings seemed to easier to acquire a while back for some reason.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Early wings are the only ones you can get as new repro parts, your problem might lie in sourcing the correct front indicators. I'm not sure if the headlight brackets or grille are different.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
sciroccogls

Post by sciroccogls »

ok thanks lads, and 1 of u said repro wings are avaliable i was in contact with vw heritage previously big boys toys and they are no longer making them? could youu please tell me if you know where they can be obtained ,any help will be much appreciated thanks.

Nate

Post by Nate »

i got a pair of NOS non wraparound indicators from ebay in Oz. they seem to fit ok on the headlight frames, but i don't know if they would foul the inner wing coz mine hasn't got any inner wing left

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
sciroccogls

Post by sciroccogls »

Okt thanks man :hugegrin: I'm shuure I'll loads more questions for ye as I hav'nt even started yet :hehe: well I have 3 years to do it anyway .

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

ATP in Germany have usually had the early wings in stock and they've been listed on the VW classic parts site last time I looked.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
Winston

Post by Winston »

Only one wing was listed on classic parts but the sites not working too well for me at the moment so can't check. :crying:

The early wings fit the later cars with no fouling etc. The only problem I could see is what Ed brought up. You might need to change the headlight frames for early ones as the indicators fit in a different way. I know later wrap around indicator don't fit early frames without modifying but im not 100% about doing it the other way around.

I have some spare early frames above my bench. the picture might help you compare.

Whoarded crap! by Winstang, on Flickr

sciroccogls

Post by sciroccogls »

so ye reckon the headlight holders must be changed or modified yes :yup: if so anychance ud sell urs bud?

Winston

Post by Winston »

My mistake the ones I have pictured are later headlight frames for wrap arounds. :blush:

I will try one of my early indicators in the frames next time I am up with the car though. :beers:

sciroccogls

Post by sciroccogls »

sound man much appreciated coukld check if twas a golf but im the only one in my family witha 'rocco

Winston

Post by Winston »

Here is the problem. the bottom one bolts up fine :)

IMG_5202 by Winstang, on Flickr

sciroccogls

Post by sciroccogls »

thanks mate much appreciated :)

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

I don't see this as problem, all you need is someone who is handy with a lathe who will turn you a piece which will match up with the stud (thread) coming out of the back of the indicator which will also connect with the mounting plate. This is seriously not Rocket Science and very easily done.

Village Idiots

Post by Village Idiots »

Or someone with welding who could cut and weld the arm.