Throttle cable attachment to pedal - help!

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
marcus
fill in the right answer: 10

Throttle cable attachment to pedal - help!

Post by marcus »

My throttle cable suddenly detached itself from the pedal this afternoon, it was quite disconcerting to feel the pedal drop away from under my foot!

On closer inspection, it turns out the rubber bush which sits in the end of the pedal arm had perished and it crumbled away when I tried to re-insert the L-shaped end of the accelerator cable.

To get me home, I simply rolled up a section of paper napkin to wedge the L-shape into the eye on the end of the arm.

According to VAGCAT, I need part number 431721559 (labelled 16 in the image) but obviously I'm probably not going to be able to get hold of that immediately.

Anyone have any suggestion for how to improvise a temporary solution that's a little bit more robust than the napkin? I'd though of cutting a crude replacement bush from a chunk of rubber or flexible plastic eg synthetic wine cork or pencil rubber but is there a more obvious bodge to keep the L-shape from pulling through the eye? Need to use the car tomorrow (Sunday) for a long-ish drive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1985 GTL 1.8

Member number 928 (wish I had one)
ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Throttle cable attachment to pedal - help!

Post by ianaudia4 »

Still available from the dealers mate, not sure about GSF.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

I suppose as a temp bodge you could cut out from a piece of rubber (make 2 or 3!) and jam it in and wrap some gaffer tape around it.

Sam

Post by Sam »

Mines done the same,
I'd be interested where you get a new one.
I've used a tie rap which has been fine so far

1988 1.6 mk2 gt,
2010 2.0 tdi mk3 gt,
1984 Storm project (Brown),
1998 1.9tdi Audi A4 with a poorly fuel pump.
wassell

Post by wassell »

Gsf on ebay. 3 quid new. Had to buy one last week :)

jxp

Post by jxp »

I used a cable tie to fix mine then got a new rubber from dealers

1985 MK2 Flash Silver GTX 1.8 8v
2002 Passat 1.9 TDI 130BHP
marcus

Post by marcus »

wassell can you post the GSF part number or a link to the relevant eBay page, couldn't find it on the GSF site or their eBay page.

Made quite a serviceable interim replacement from a soft plastic pencil rubber, will post details and photos later.

1985 GTL 1.8

marcus

Post by marcus »

So this is how I fixed mine, using what I had to hand, essentially I managed to fabricate a replacement bush.

Materials: plastic eraser, eg Staedtler 'Mars', 1st image below, readily available from stationers, and even from Tesco:
eraser.jpg
Method:

Cut a square section off the end of the eraser, and using a compass or circle template (or maybe even a 5p coin, you'd need to measure it), draw a 17-18mm circle on the top face (ie the widest flattest bit).

Drill a 3-4mm hole in the middle of the circle - if you've used a compass, you've a ready-made pilot hole.

Using a knife (Stanley knife, scalpel, whatever, I used a sharp kitchen knife), cut around the perimeter of the circle you've drawn. The more accurately you do this now, the less shaping you have to do next.

Next, using rough-ish sandpaper (80-120) laid flat on a work surface, gradually smooth off the perimeter of the circle by rubbing the circumferance of your blank along the length of the sandpaper, turning as you go, until it's as round as you can get it and about 17mm in diameter. I did it by putting a drill bit through the 'blank' and holding the ends of the bit and rotating it.

You're aiming for what's in image 2.
accelerator bush 1.jpg
The internal diameter of the 'eye' at the top of the pedal is 16.3-16.4mm according to the vernier callipers I used to measure it, and I found getting my fabricated bush down to 17mm worked well - it's larger than the hole you're trying to fill but not by too much and the 'squishiness' of the plastic means you can get it in without too much of a struggle, and once the hook on the end of the accelerator cable is pushed through the hole you've drilled, the combined inward pressure of the eye and the outward pressure of the hook makes for a good tight fit.

The result is in image 4 and it's held up so far. Mine is a bit off-centre but it doesn't seem to be moving, so probably ok until I can get the right part - the 'original' has 'shoulders' on the outer edges, to keep the bush centred, which this improvised solution obviously lacks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1985 GTL 1.8

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Marcus that is a brilliant idea, love what you have done, I had one of the bushes go about 3 years ago so brought other VW bush for something like £6 and it seems to be made of swish cheese and is going again, I have to every month or so push the cable back in or it come out while driving if you put your foot down hard, not ideal really. I think I'll go and buy a rubber and try your idea. :good:

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
wassell

Post by wassell »

Sorry for the delay guys

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 0553019012

Heres the bush. Fitted a treat :)

marcus

Post by marcus »

Hmm... not as robust or long-lived a repair as I would have liked, hook on cable has worn through one side of my manufactured bush in 10 months, am thinking I should have put a bit of grease in the hole before I pushed the hook in, suspect friction is the culprit.

Will make another one and try this theory, in the meantime has anyone here used the GSF one and how well has it lasted? £4.49 collected seems a lot more appealing than £11.90+P&P from VW Heritage.

1985 GTL 1.8

ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

The one I bought from the dealer was only about £5 or so!

marcus

Post by marcus »

Do you have a special 'tame' dealer?!

Any time I phone up and ask the price of anything I have to be sitting down, last one was the ignition module for which Alan Day VW in London wanted £199 (and some pence, I mean, why bother with the pence, call it a round £200) - in the end I paid £14.40 plus postage from a place in Lincs for a Febi-Bilstein aftermarket item which works fine.

Will call them anyway, you never know...

1985 GTL 1.8

Nate

Post by Nate »

Standard roadside fix is to cable tie the hook to the pedal. I had done this to the mk1 half way up Italy and forgotten about it until I stripped the car ready to go off for paint

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

marcus wrote:Do you have a special 'tame' dealer?!

Any time I phone up and ask the price of anything I have to be sitting down, last one was the ignition module for which Alan Day VW in London wanted £199 (and some pence, I mean, why bother with the pence, call it a round £200) - in the end I paid £14.40 plus postage from a place in Lincs for a Febi-Bilstein aftermarket item which works fine.

Will call them anyway, you never know...
I use a number of dealers, the list includes Abridge in Harlow, Benfield in Newcastle upon Tyne and Pulman in Durham. I just ask for their best price, agreed some dealer prices are rather expensive but for some parts actually cheaper than some motor factors. I try to fit VW genuine parts when I can get them (and when I need them!).