water leak due to hole in footwell?

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
rosie
fill in the right answer: 10

water leak due to hole in footwell?

Post by rosie »

My passenger side footwell is full of water. This happened a couple of years ago, and turned out to be coming through the windscreen seal into the fusebox. I resealed it, dried it all out, replaced the fusebox - everything was fine afterwards.
Now the water is back. Assuming it was the same problem again due to my bodging on the sealant last time, I resealed the windscreen again just in case.
I checked the fusebox and it's bone dry, and the carpet around it is dry too, and it looks this time as though the water has been coming in near the central console. There's no water in any of the stereo wiring but the underlay was wet all the way up to the level of the shelf. It's possible the windscreen was leaking in the centre this time but I also sealed around the blower under the bonnet in case it was getting in there.
I ripped out all the underlay and carpet to get a better look and found a mystery hole in the area where it seemed the water was getting in.
Please does anyone know whether this hole ought to have a grommet in it or something? I'd like to rule it out as a possible source of the leak. I'm hoping the leak was through the windscreen and is now sealed but want to be sure before I reassemble everything.

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
Running it into the ground
rosie
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: water leak due to hole in footwell?

Post by rosie »

Forgot to add the photo
footwell.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
Running it into the ground