Had a bit of a mare with stripping my engine

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
MrP

Had a bit of a mare with stripping my engine

Post by MrP »

Started fully stripping the ancilaries off my 16v engine so I could strip and paint it... Had a bit of a nightmare...

1st: pulling off the oil breather pod, on the inside there is a lip which parts disintegrated on pulling it out which no means I have small chunks of metal somewhere inside my bottom end.. I assume that if I dont try and find these bits of metal I could ruin my engine if I try and use it? Would pulling the sump off give me access to these bits?

2nd: The water flange pipe on the front of the cylinder head, all 3 allen bolts snapped off leaving about 6mm each protruding out of the head.. They are pretty stuck.. Any pointers?

Thanks in advance.

Boumsong
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Had a bit of a mare with stripping my engine

Post by Boumsong »

Whip the sump off and have a good look around.

As for the stuck bolts, get a good set of molegrips and a blowtorch, get them HOT then whip 'umout with the grips.

2k Painter and Powdercoater
MrP

Post by MrP »

Boumsong wrote:Whip the sump off and have a good look around.

As for the stuck bolts, get a good set of molegrips and a blowtorch, get them HOT then whip 'umout with the grips.
Tried that.. They are literally rusted in!!

Birdy
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Birdy »

I had the same problem with the water outlet on my valver too, i drilled the stuck bolts out and re-tapped the holes so sort the problem out :hugegrin:

VW Scirocco 16V GTX, Kamei X1 and a half
MrP

Post by MrP »

Birdy wrote:I had the same problem with the water outlet on my valver too, i drilled the stuck bolts out and re-tapped the holes so sort the problem out :hugegrin:
Dammit, I thought that'd be the only answer!!

Boo!